Windows Vista Vista Won't Start After Raid 0 Failure on secondary

JVD_X

Hi,

Windows Vista Home 64bit
Abit motherboard running intel chipset and Core i7
6 gigs memory
2 solid state disks in stripe as C running fine
2 one-TB samsung f1 in mirror (one drive failed)

I had a d drive in a mirrored configuration when one of the drives went bad. I don't have a backup drive to rebuild the mirror but I figured that would be OK for now.

Now, the machine won't finish booting if I have either mirror member drive still attached to the SATA. It completes BIOS, starts booting Vista, the Vista bar finishes and it looks like it's about to show the desktop but it never gets there... just hangs for hours and hours and never goes anywhere.

As soon as I unplug both disks... the machine boots and runs fine.

Any ideas?

I guess it's looking for the other drive to complete the array. It may be better to leave it off until you can rebuild another one.
How is the SSD's working for you in RAID 0? I have a RAID 0 set-up and actually swear by them for performance but at present I only have the SATA II HDD. This still gives an impressive performance but not like those SSD's and just wondered what average read you were getting. Mine gives an average of 125MB/s...

The two drives work very very well in raid 0. Very very fast. I just wish I had gotten the 60 GB drives instead of the 30 GB drives... they filled up so fast. I only ran one benchmark against it but I am getting in the range of 400 MB/sec read. The craziest thing is having a completely silent computer. MS office applications open in about 1.5 seconds and the overall responsiveness of the machine is amazing.

Once the price of the SSDs come down I plan on adding 3 more SSDs to the array. What I am not clear on is the prospect of ghosting the image from the raid 0 with 2 drives to a raid 0 with 4-5 drives and even if that is feasible with SSD's.

I was unable to boot up the with either drives attached but I was able to hook up the good member of the pair to a second computer and pull the data off.

I then reformatted both drives. Vista still will not boot up with the "good" drive attached. I am guessing that the raid chip/bios keeps information about the serial number somewhere in memory.

400mb/s!!!!! Man I knew those things were fast but not that fast...
I aim to get me a pair but not until the prices have come down a little,well, a lot actually...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom