jpSQLDude

I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue!

So I was listening to music, volume was way turned up. Then I turned the music off.

The a while later I'm surfing away and some site has an super obnoxious ad with a hidden pop-under window with this incredibly loud voice BLASTING me with, "Hello! Blaa blaaa blaaaaaa...." practically SCREAMING AT ME, as I furiously scramble to turn the volume down.

Wait, where's that volume control in my system tray? Oh there it is.... Do I click or right-click? Gee I wish I could just right-click and hit the Mute button. Nope. I right click and a menu pops up AND SHE'S STILL SCREAMING AT ME!!! and I have 5 choices..... must be the bottom one... Volume control options.... that sounds right. NOPE! What is that thing!? SHE'S STILL SCREAMING AT ME!!!!! Click Cancel..... find that dang volume thingamajobbie in the system tray again... right click it again... lets try that top menu option... and.... finally... sweet relief, I can press the dang MUTE button.

Isn't there some one click -- or one keystroke -- solution to mute sound??? C'mon, I can't be the only one!

Solution
Mute button

Solution

1. Right click on the desktop, and choose "New"->"Shortcut" from the menu.
    Link Removed - Invalid URL
  2. Type "C:\Users\nircmd\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2" as the location of the shortcut.
    C:\Users\nircmd is the address of nircmd.exe,you can change it as your address, if you don not have the nircmd.exe, download it.
  3. Give "Toggle Mute" as a name to the new shortcut.
  4. Then click "Finish",and then right click the new shortcut icon on the desktop and choose "Properties".
  5. Click "Change Icon" to pick a better one.
  6. Type in...
So at work I have Windows XP and if you double-click the volume icon in the system tray, it brings up the whole Volume Control control panel, and you can just click MUTE right there.

Windows 7 = downgrade!

Try right clicking the speaker icon...

Mute button on ad page?

Button on your keyboard or a key combination, which I don't know?

Mute button

Solution

1. Right click on the desktop, and choose "New"->"Shortcut" from the menu.
  2. Type "C:\Users\nircmd\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2" as the location of the shortcut.
    C:\Users\nircmd is the address of nircmd.exe,you can change it as your address, if you don not have the nircmd.exe, download it.
  3. Give "Toggle Mute" as a name to the new shortcut.
  4. Then click "Finish",and then right click the new shortcut icon on the desktop and choose "Properties".
  5. Click "Change Icon" to pick a better one.
  6. Type in "%SystemRoot%\System32\SndVol.exe" to choose the icon.
  7. Click "OK", and then you have created a shortcut to turn off the monitor in windows 7.

Solution
So at work I have Windows XP and if you double-click the volume icon in the system tray, it brings up the whole Volume Control control panel, and you can just click MUTE right there.

Windows 7 = downgrade!

When you left click the speaker icon in the system tray, the volume control appears. Maybe you didn't notice that the image of a speaker underneath the volume slider is a mute button Fairly simple, just 2 left clicks

When you left click the speaker icon in the system tray, the volume control appears. Maybe you didn't notice that the image of a speaker underneath the volume slider is a mute button Fairly simple, just 2 left clicks

Just what i wanted to say. But maybe he wants 1 button to do it.
PS: There are lots of keyboards with mute button on it