Windows 7 Volume Mixer - MUTE is soooooo far away... help!

jpSQLDude

I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue!

So I was listening to music, volume was way turned up. Then I turned the music off.

The a while later I'm surfing away and some site has an super obnoxious ad with a hidden pop-under window with this incredibly loud voice BLASTING me with, "Hello! Blaa blaaa blaaaaaa...." practically SCREAMING AT ME, as I furiously scramble to turn the volume down.

Wait, where's that volume control in my system tray? Oh there it is.... Do I click or right-click? Gee I wish I could just right-click and hit the Mute button. Nope. I right click and a menu pops up AND SHE'S STILL SCREAMING AT ME!!! and I have 5 choices..... must be the bottom one... Volume control options.... that sounds right. NOPE! What is that thing!? SHE'S STILL SCREAMING AT ME!!!!! :mad: Click Cancel..... find that dang volume thingamajobbie in the system tray again... right click it again... lets try that top menu option... and.... finally... sweet relief, I can press the dang MUTE button.

Isn't there some one click -- or one keystroke -- solution to mute sound??? C'mon, I can't be the only one!

So at work I have Windows XP and if you double-click the volume icon in the system tray, it brings up the whole Volume Control control panel, and you can just click MUTE right there.

Windows 7 = downgrade!

Try right clicking the speaker icon...

Mute button on ad page?

Button on your keyboard or a key combination, which I don't know?

Mute button

Solution

1. Right click on the desktop, and choose "New"->"Shortcut" from the menu.
    Link Removed - Invalid URL
  2. Type "C:\Users\nircmd\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2" as the location of the shortcut.
    C:\Users\nircmd is the address of nircmd.exe,you can change it as your address, if you don not have the nircmd.exe, download it.
  3. Give "Toggle Mute" as a name to the new shortcut.
  4. Then click "Finish",and then right click the new shortcut icon on the desktop and choose "Properties".
  5. Click "Change Icon" to pick a better one.
  6. Type in "%SystemRoot%\System32\SndVol.exe" to choose the icon.
  7. Click "OK", and then you have created a shortcut to turn off the monitor in windows 7.

So at work I have Windows XP and if you double-click the volume icon in the system tray, it brings up the whole Volume Control control panel, and you can just click MUTE right there.

Windows 7 = downgrade!

When you left click the speaker icon in the system tray, the volume control appears. Maybe you didn't notice that the image of a speaker underneath the volume slider is a mute button Fairly simple, just 2 left clicks

When you left click the speaker icon in the system tray, the volume control appears. Maybe you didn't notice that the image of a speaker underneath the volume slider is a mute button Fairly simple, just 2 left clicks

Just what i wanted to say. But maybe he wants 1 button to do it.
PS: There are lots of keyboards with mute button on it :)

Back