Windows 7 W7 32 bit vs. 64 bit

rounder

I installed the 32 bit version and love it! My cpu supports 64 bit (Intel E6600) and I have 4 gig ram, of which only 3.25 is being utilized. I want to ask if anyone has a fair amount of experience with both that would make a recommendation as to rather it would be worth the effort to install the 64 bit version. Other than the greater amount of accessible memory, what are the benefits of 64 over 32?

64 bt => more memory available, enhanced security, faster performance.

32-bit vs. 64-bit: More Bit, More Performance? TuneUp Blog about Windows

compressing_a_gb_file.jpg

3d_mark_vantage.jpg

pc_mark_vantage.jpg

cinebench.jpg

64-Bit Computing

• More processing power: In very basic terms, 64-bit means that it can handle twice as many bits per clock cycle. For more on the technicalities of the architecture, we recommend reading this Wikipedia entry.
  • More memory: The 32-bit consumer version of Windows is only capable of addressing 3 to 3.5 Gbyte of RAM; therefore, when you use more than 4 Gbyte, the additional RAM goes to waste. Hitting the 3 to 3.5 Gbyte limit only occurs if you work with several memory-hungry programs at the same time.
  • Performance advantage: Practically speaking, applications can make use of the 64-bit architecture to process huge data operations more quickly. This is especially important with advanced programs, such as video editing suites, games, or encryption software.
  • More security: The 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and 7 contain Kernel Patch Protection which prevents malicious programs from changing the Windows kernel. The operating systems also boast a Data Execution Prevention which uses a special processor feature to prevent an application from running code from a memory region where it’s not supposed to run. Overall, the 64-bit edition is more secure than its 32-bit counterpart.

Yup.. go with 64bit. Depending on the app used you'll see a performance increase..

Agreed with Kemical. One word of caution, however. You state you are CPU capable. Just have A quick browse and make sure your peripherals (printers etc) have 64 Bit drivers. They probably all will, eventually, but it can be very daunting to try to battle with some 32Bit hardware, on 64Bit OS's. - Mind you, where I live, It is almost as cheap, now, to buy a new printer as to purcase new cartridges/toners!

Fully agree with RAK, visit your hardware manufacturers' support sites and check if they provide 7 compatible 64-bit drivers for your hardware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can also install a Vista driver on 7 in Vista compatibility mode:

To install a driver using Compatibility Mode, right click on the Setup Application Setup (usually titled Setup.exe or Autorun.exe) and click on Properties. Then click on the Compatibility tab, enable Vista Compatibility Mode from the drop-down list, select “Windows Vista”, then click on OK and start the setup.

runningtivodesktop27underwindows7invistacompatibilitymode.png

I do know that software is one of the biggest noncompatability issues going, between 32 and 64 bit OS's. Any 32 bit programs will not work in a W7 64 bit environment.

What about software issues w/ win 7 64bit? Will all (modern) software work w/ win7 64bit ?

Most 32bit software will run under 64bit as things have improved drastically although if you have an app that you really cannot do without then it would be prudent to see if it worked in a 64bit enviroment.

Most 32bit software will run under 64bit as things have improved drastically although if you have an app that you really cannot do without then it would be prudent to see if it worked in a 64bit enviroment.

Are you saying you believe that software I have, i.e. Acronis products (circa 2006), etc. obviously developed under the 32 bit platform, may very well function under a 64 bit W7 OS? 32 vs 64 and W7 vs XP? Kind of a new scenario here...sorry ;)

I use Macrium Reflect I have the purchased version it is quite good. There is a Free version but it does not do incremental backups as the purchased version does

My W7 install is only a few months old and I haven't put anything on it that I couldn't stand to lose, yet. I do need to start looking for some good apps to back-up and manage my drives. I mostly miss Diskeeper for the "running" defrag. My XP HDD has all the good stuff on it!

Off the subject, I still am not used to, nor convinved that I will like, W7's lack of a file tree. Been using tht to navigate WIndows' files since the beginning of Windows.

Macrium free or purchsed version is an excellent backup program simple to use very quick. Plenty of free Defraggers out there. I sue Microsoft security essentials for my AV it is free and fairly good. I alo use Super Anti spy-ware, Malware bytes, and Spyware Blaster for protection. I use Total commander 7.50 (purchased) for my file manager.

Off the subject, I still am not used to, nor convinved that I will like, W7's lack of a file tree. Been using tht to navigate WIndows' files since the beginning of Windows.

I do agree w/ that. I hate the fact that you can't follow the "file tree" but, I'm getting used to it (copy n paste is you're friend).

64bit win7 sounds and looks like the (future) bomb as far as crunching data but, I've found the "hole" in 64 bit. It's (not MSFT fault) the drivers. I'm running a (personal) custom built rig and all of the mainstream hardware has drivers for win7/64 except for my Razer Barracuda sound card. I'm sure that's only one example but thus: the "hole" it's hardware drivers for the not so common hardware.

I did a quick check of some other high end (surround sound) sound cards and many (if not the majority) don't yet support (64bit) win7.

Back