Windows 7 W7 and ThinkPad T400 ATI Radeon 3400 series driver

futurejp

Hi,

I have a T400 which has the following two display adapters:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family

After installing Windows 7 and checking device manager, the ATI adapter does show up under the "Display adapters' section, but it has a ! sign on it, and if I click for details, it says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I tried downoading and installing this:

Lenovo Support & downloads - ThinkPad Switchable Graphics Driver for Windows Vista 32bit and 64bit - ThinkPad T400, R400, T500, W500

and when I rebooted, it went through some diagnostic tests in a cmd window to finish installation. But when I checked the device manager again, the ATI adapter still says it cannot start.

I also tried this:

ATI Catalystâ„¢ Mobility Display Driver

which I got to by selecting W7 32-bit > Mobility Radeon > Mobility Radeon HD 3000 series.

It seemed to install OK, but I got a message which I've gotten with previous attempts, which says:

"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enambled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays manager."

I went to the device manager, right-clicked on the ATI adapter and did Update Driver, and it did at first find a better match but said it couldn't be installed with the same error message from above (Code 10). Now, when I try to update the driver again, it says the best driver software is already installed.

Any ideas to fix this? Thanks.

Hi, thanks for replying,

I went to that site and downloaded the display driver only (second Download link). I installed it and rebooted. Upon Windows resuming, I got this notification:

installing.jpg

But then a few seconds later, as it has done before, it turned into this:

fail.jpg

So I'm still back at square 1.

Right now 7 is my only OS, and it's perfectly fine, with the exception of the graphics card problem. So I might have to end up installing Vista instead, and making a partition on which I'll install 7.

Did you activate Windows and did you receive updates from Windows Update?

Did you get the official RC from MS site?

If you previously had any betas, did you perform a "clean" install, or an upgrade?

I have all updates installed, and my RC is activated with windows. I downloaded it officially on Mat 5th or 6th, and when I installed it 2 days ago, I was running XP. I just installed the RC completely over XP, so it wasn't an upgrade.

I did, however, do some sort of RC repair. When I press the volume buttons on my laptop, I don't get an on-screen display of the volume going up or down. I installed the appropriate audio driver from Lenovo's website thinking it might remedy this, but all it did was make it so that my computer couldn't output sound. I couldn't fix this, so I popped in the 7 RC disc and told it to do an upgrade on top of the currently installed OS - which happened to be Windows 7. So that repaired my audio problem.

However, I was having the ATI problem before this audio thing happened, so I think that upgrade/repair is irrelevant.

If you installed over XP, that is not a "clean" install, it's an upgrade.

Since you just installed it, I would suggest you put the ISO back in the tray run, setup, then choose option 2 Advanced setup

I don't think I installed "over" XP, I just mean that XP was on my system when I told it to install W7. For example, it took my Desktop/My Documents/Program Files contents and stuck them in a folder called Windows.old before wiping everything and installing 7. But I'll try that soon, I'll post back with results soon after.

Edit: This http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=922&page=4 describes what I did. According to this, what I did was not an upgrade, but rather it was a clean install, though it saved some of my data for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's originally what I did. So I don't know what's wrong.

I have read that some graphics drivers just don't work with W7 so far, but mine doesn't seem to be one of them. But still nothing works.

We just finished up a thread that went on for quite some time and there was no resolution.

The only thing I can tell you is that it's possible to use Microsoft's driver, but the Catalyst Control Center will not install at all.

I know this isn't good news, but you can change some settings by going to Control Panel > Display

How do I use Microsoft's driver (and where can I find it)? Will it use any of the functionality of my card at all? I mean at least it will be better than using the basic graphics driver that my computer is using now.

How do I use Microsoft's driver (and where can I find it)? Will it use any of the functionality of my card at all? I mean at least it will be better than using the basic graphics driver that my computer is using now.

Try Windows update. You had a look at this thread right?

Back