Windows 7 w7 cant boot after removed "system reserved" partiton..

fly790420

hi i have a laptop with windows 7 and it worked great until today, i saw a article about removing system reserved partition, so i removed it by booting with win7 installation dvd but after that my laptop wouldnt boot, it only shows "operating system was not found" and i tried this way MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record - Windows 7 Forums to restore the MBR but it didnt work
seemed like it couldnt find any operating system
at Step 3, mine did not show up any operating system..all blank so i just clicked next
then at Step 9
it couldnt restore the bootsector code.
it only shows "the system partition was not found: the requested system device cannot be found"
and then everything remain the same, still cannot boot.

how can i fix it? i have important data in the laptop, i dont want to format and reinstall..

if anyone can help i will be appreciate..

It doesn't look good....

I'm pretty sure that there's no way back and your looking at a re-install. Unfortunately you deleted the files needed to repair the installation. Win 7 always creates a 100MB partition (unless you format the drive before hand which at that point the files will then placed in a hidden folder) ) for the files that it needs to boot and to repair..

More info here:

What's on that 100MB partition? Can I delete it? - Windows 7 Forums

The last post is by someone who managed to repair their installation but you've already tried this?

yeah i tried to do the system repair in the installation dvd, but after reboot everything still the same.. how can i install the boot manager back into the partition again??

and if i really need to re-install, can i re-install without formatting the drive? i heard the folders with the same name will be replaced... for example, if i have some files in "my documents" and i re-installed win7, will it completely replace "my documents" folders including main folder, sub folders, and all the files? or it will just replace the main folder and all the files in the folders will remain????

and what about all the applications and the files in the "program files" folder? will they be replaced?
can i still use those applications after?

if it will be replaced, is there anyway i can copy the folders to another hard drive by using the command prompt ??

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd re-install using the 'upgrade' method which will save your files and folders then once you've done that I'd back everything up and do a clean install..

Going out on a limb here, but you could use a Live Linux ISO to copy the files to a different hard drive or USB drive.

but upgrade method requires to boot into windows 7 which i cannot

No it doesn't...
Change your boot order to boot from disk.
Reboot with your 7 disk in the drive and make sure you press any key when prompted.
When you reach the install page don't choose the 'custom' install choose the 'upgrade' method...
It should take about an hour depending on how many files you've got..

yeah i tried to do the system repair in the installation dvd, but after reboot everything still the same.. how can i install the boot manager back into the partition again?? QUOTE]

Did you try the startup repair? Sometimes needs to be done twice.

yea i tried too upgrade it but it said i cannot upgrade with installation disk booted it asked me to boot normally from harddrive into system and then put installation dvd in and upgrade

Get into the BIOS and make sure your first boot device is the DVD-ROM.

Place the ISO in the drive and restart.

This is a good lesson on why you should not mess with partitions only if you are an advanced user.

Back