Windows 7 w7 freezing software programs (not responding)

bsoddumps

Hi community,

First of all, if this subforum is not the correct one, let me know so that I can change it.

Despite the many posts about the same issue, I haven’t found any ‘how to post about’ post for this type of problem, so I think it’s better to attach the following and wait to see if some expertise offers some guidelines.

I inherited the laptop recently, so I do not know when this really started to happen.

I’ve reinstalled windows twice and stop the ‘windows update’ for updates make the system freeze even more constantly.

Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 390
  • W7F_19-10-2016.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 864
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 426
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    44.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 434
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 455
  • RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 281
In programming land a program has call back functions that regularly checks in with the Windows operating system. When that doesn't happen you will see the "Not Responding" message. A lot of the time this happens simply because a program is running some operation that may simply be taking a long time to complete and is not checking in with Windows. The other thing that can cause it is if it is stuck waiting for a different process to complete something or possibly waiting on a resource that is locked.

If you open task manager and right click the process that is "Not Responding", go to the details tab and right click the process and select "Analyze Wait Chain" this should give you some insight into what is causing the hang up.

If you open task manager and right click the process that is "Not Responding", go to the details tab

Hi Neemobeer,

First of all, thank you so much for replying.
Rather than certain programs, it's a general issue, a poor performance of my laptop. For instance simply minimizing or clicking any program (MS word, a folder, etc.) from the task manager will freeze the system. It is a constant issue, happening 99/100 times, so that the laptop is not functional anymore.

Furthermore, I do not have the 'detail' tab in my task manager.

Is there any free software to improve the performance of my system by turning off non-critical features?

If the entire system is overall slow. You could have more or more issues
  • Malware infection
  • Windows corruption
  • Failing hard drive
  • Bad seal on the CPU
  • Fragmentation on the drive

Hi again,

I want to add ram memory, because 2gm is definitely not enough today, yet I do not know what is the best option I have, since I do not want to spend too much.

Since the Memory tab originated by CPU-Z reads it’s single channel but having two slots (if I am mistaken, please let me know), does that mean the memory controller of my motherboard is single-channeled? If so, could I simply add another stick of ram in the second slot? There’s an old laptop around home from which I might maybe get that additional stick of memory.

Yes, you would want to use neem's link to the Crucial site and punch in the specs you posted from CPU-Z. Yes, if your 1st RAM stick is single-channeled and it's factory installed RAM, you should add the same kind of single-channeled RAM to the other slot. If the friend who gave you the laptop however changed it out to cheaper RAM, the Mobo might take dual-channeled RAM, and the best way to tell is from the Crucial site or you can phone them up and ask them. If your friend did swap out the cheaper RAM for the factory RAM, and the Mobo is capable of running dual-channeled RAM, then you can buy 2 sticks of dual-channel RAM (4GB). Use poor spec'd or poor quality RAM might also explain why your laptop is so sluggish! :headache:

<<<BBJ>>>

if your 1st RAM stick is single-channeled and it's factory installed RAM [...], and the best way to tell is from the Crucial site

Hi again BBJ,

Thanks for replying. Nothing has been changed regading the ram, so I wonder whether the specification about the ram memory being single- or dual-channel could be found running some software.

Hi,
You're welcome. Try downloading the free SPECCY diagnostic from piriform.com. On my laptop it says I have Dual-channel memory for my RAM; so it should show you that information. If you have single-channel, you'll need to order a 2nd stick of single-channel, if it's Dual-channel, order a 2nd stick of Dual-channel. Either way, you'll need to match the type of RAM between the 2 sticks so they are identical mode.

Then order using the Crucial link that neem gave you.

Let us know if that helps!:up:

BBJ

if it's Dual-channel, order a 2nd stick of Dual-channel. Either way, you'll need to match the type of RAM between the 2 sticks so they are identical mode

Hi again BBJ,

Could I just add another 2gb memory module (1x2), so that I have 4mg double-channel altogether? If so, what would be the characteristics/features that that new memory bar must have?

Yes, that's what I said. But that's only if the 2GB module is dual-channel also, AND your Acer Mobo must support dual-channel memory. Neither the User Guide nor the Setup Guide on the Acer support site mention that spec,:waah: so that's why you need to download and run the SPECCY program I mentioned in Post #10 first. You cannot make your RAM operate in dual-channel mode by adding a 2nd 2GB stick that is dual-channeled, as your 1st RAM stick is single channeled!! :noway: Both (All sticks) sticks must be the same type of memory and run the same memory-mode.

For example, to expand your current RAM in single-channel mode:

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
2GB Single-Channel

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
2GB Single-Channel
(this 2nd Stick cannot be Dual-Channel RAM, even if your
Motherboard supports Dual-Channel RAM!!!)

TOTAL RAM = 4GB RAM, Single-Channel Mode.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For example, to expand your current RAM in dual-channel mode:

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
2GB Dual-Channel (this 1st Stick MUST REPLACE YOUR ORIGINAL SINGLE-
CHANNEL 2GB RAM STICK in order to do this upgrade!!!)

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
2GB Dual-Channel
(this 2nd Stick MUST ALSO be Dual-Channel RAM, AND your
Motherboard must support Dual-Channel RAM in order to do
this upgrade!!!)

TOTAL RAM = 4GB RAM, Dual-Channel Mode.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If your SPECCY result shows that your Acer Mobo will indeed support dual-channel RAM you could also do it this way:

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
4GB* Dual-Channel *(Using 1 single stick of 4GB dual-channel RAM only; no 2nd
stick required).

STICK TYPE OF MEMORY
==== ================
NotUsed; Not applicable
0GB

TOTAL RAM = 4GB RAM, Dual-Channel Mode.

And lastly, it's very important that you EXACTLY match both of these RAM sticks in the 2-RAM stick configurations above. This will be hard to do if the brand of 2GB RAM stick is no longer being manufactured, say be XYZ Company.:andwhat: If it's say older Kingston RAM, and you can't find that exact single-channel or dual-channel RAM stick available in Kingston but only in PNY or Corsair or other brand, you may wish to replace either both 2GB sticks exactly matched with a current brand, or the 4GB stick route. Notice that if you go the 4GB stick method, you can ELIMINATE the painstaking process or RAM stick matching, since all your RAM is in 1 single stick! :up: If you try to upgrade what you have in your laptop now, you'll most likely have to go to the aftermarket such as ebay, or other RAM memory suppliers online. This can be tricky, as your chances of getting an exact match on older RAM are not good as you don't fully understand all the specs.:nerves:

You could take your laptop to your local Computer Pro and have him figure this out for you, and pay him to do the RAM memory upgrade for you, then it's on him to do the Memory-Matching on the 2nd stick, check all the specs etc. This could cost you from $60-$110 or so at most repair shops. If you do your homework, and read the information we've provided you here, you can probably find a 4GB single-channel or 4GB dual-channel RAM stick online for a lot less such as this one here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Acer-Aspire-5742-DDR3-10600/dp/B0091TNMS8
Notice that it's only $31.46 US; maybe $38-$40 US or so with tax and shipping. Much less than trying to buy 2 matched RAM sticks and paying a Tech to do all that work for you.:encouragement:

EDIT: This is a lot of information to absorb, I am sure. If you don't take the effort to do the Memory-Matching process I describe, you can run into weird BSODs, Black Screens, Freezes/Hangs, and general poor performance and speed with your laptop. :headache: That's why this process is so important to do right the first time!

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>> :lightbulb: :brew: :pumpkin:

Last edited:
your Acer Mobo must support dual-channel memory

Hi BBJ,

First of all, thank you for being patient with me one again. I have a couple of more issues

1) I have noticed that my laptop constantly reaches 100% of highest active time in the resource monitor. Does this issue result from the scant ram memory

speccy.PNG

tasks adm. performance.PNG

resource monitor.PNG

2) I have realized I might exchange the ram (2x4gb) that I have installed in another laptop that I do not currently use (the only difference that I can see btw. them being in the mainboard, V1.29 vs. V1.13); here are the specs thereof

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG
6.PNG

Hope to hear news from you soon.
Thank you so much in advance for your help once again.

Attachments

• W7F_19-10-2016.zip
    98.5 KB · Views: 329
Yes, when you don't have a lot of RAM you start getting thrashing. Basically the operating system needs to load something into memory and it can't because its full so it has swap existing data from memory to disk which can be expensive (hardware utilization) so you get high disk I/O and CPU usage.

Neem's correct on this. 2GB is the bare minimum needed to LOAD W10, not necessarily run it decently. That's why all laptop makers today give you at least 4GB of RAM. That's what is needed if you wish to be able to watch streaming video such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Less than that the video becomes choppy, laggy, etc.:headache: You probably already know this subconsciously, as your other laptop with 8GB of RAM most likely doesn't suffer these kinds of problems.

Checking the Crucial Memory site, it looks like the Acer laptop will take the 2x4GB RAM you have. Here's that link for you to review:
RAM & SSD Upgrades | Acer Aspire 5741 | Crucial.com
The specs on the Crucial Site show the 5741 can take up to 8GB RAM (which you are only using 2GB of at the moment with the 1x2GB stick in there). The RAM from the other laptop is the correct spec; PC3-10700 (DDR3), so it should work. You can transfer it over and boot the 5741 and see if all 8GB is recognized. If it is, you are set to go, and you will see a significant decrease in thrashing as mentioned by Neem. :up: Plus, if you want to watch streaming video, this laptop should handle it; but the real test will be how it performs when you are watching the video. It may be better than the other laptop you have, slower, or about the same.

Most importantly don't forget to use an ANTI-STATIC WRISTBAND when removing or installing your RAM sticks; as you don't want to zap them. You may already be aware of this, but it's a worthwhile caution, as many people have never played around with RAM upgrades before.

BBJ

The specs on the Crucial Site show the 5741 can take up to 8GB RAM (which you are only using 2GB of at the moment with the 1x2GB stick in there). The RAM from the other laptop is the correct spec; PC3-10700 (DDR3), so it should work. You can transfer it over and boot the 5741 and see if all 8GB is recognized.
BBJ

Hi BBJ,

After transferring 2x4GB, it's only recognizing 4GB, and I guess it's perhaps because it's single channel, yet I had understood my laptop (info. in the very first post) could run dual-channel since it has 2 memory banks. Could you confirm this? What can I do? Thank you so much in advance.

channel.JPG
channel2.JPG

I was going to ask if this was a 64 bit copy of Windows, but then i saw some indicators that it was. One thing to check is the memory restrictor setting in the advanced boot options.

• Click on the Start button > run
  • Type msconfig
  • Click on the Boot tab
  • Click 'Advanced Options'
  • Make sure the 'Maximum Memory' option is not checked. If it was, uncheck and hit Ok, Apply then Ok
  • Reboot

There's no reset for that if it's unchecked then it's off. What about your graphics card how much RAM is it dedicating?

Back
Top Bottom