Windows 7 W7 Ultimate Boots up Via the Vista Screen

gnbalbion

Hello I am using w7 ultimate with a GT 9600 Nvidia GPU, connected to a samsung 22" wide screen via a HDMI cable, when I boot up the OS loads the startup screen in the old Vista format instead of the new W7 screen. It appears that my issue is the initial low resolution output via the HDMI cable. I have tried a DVI cable onto anther screen and the issue is not present as the new 3 ball bootup screen appears. Is there any way that I can tell the OS and or the GPU to start up immediately in a higher resolution which will enable the W7 newer boot screen...Thanks if you can help....Garry

Hi Joe, It is a clean install, brand new harddrive etc, Build Version 6.17601 SP1 Build 7601.
Only see the problem when I use the HDMI cable. With DVI into another screen works as it should

Only see the problem when I use the HDMI cable. With DVI into another screen works as it should
Would seem it's a plain driver issue. Your DVI is fine, but not your HDMI. It could be a cable issue, too. Check drivers, check cables too, so that they aren't squeezed or pressed into 90 degrees or anything.

Thanks Titanic, The HDMI is brand new, installed as a straight flow from screen to PC, no kinks, I have checked installation and all is good. I have replaced my GPU driver, checked all drivers, all are up to date, I have even updated the bios to the latest version. Please don't get me wrong the HDMI cable works perfectly well after boot up, displays 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native). The only issue is I believe that my GPU/PC senses low resolution at startup and therefore W7 displays the old Vista boot up screen in lieu of the four balls W7 boot up screen. I have tried this morning a top quality HDMI cable just to prove that the HDMI cable is O/K to no avail the old Vista screen perists.
Is there a method to monitor the resolution from startup to after boot to see when the system senses the high res? This I know is a minor issue however one that bugs me greatly when it should work and I cannot find why.

My PC info details are listed below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ANTEC-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3P
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6, 18/06/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Antec-PC\Antec
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.29 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Last edited:
The Vista boot seems to be caused by a Repair or recovery scenario. I seem to remember it was related to the fonts in the boot section, but I cannot remember tonight. I will work on it tomorrow.

Until then, could you open an administrative command prompt and type bcdedit and right click the command window and select mark, then highlight the readout and hit enter. Then post that copy in your next entry.

Thanks Saltgrass, bcdedit pasted below, hope this will help to steer us in the right direction..
Thanks Garry...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
graphicsresolution 1024x768
default {current}
resumeobject {5f34c7d9-db44-11e0-92d4-c32b96cc56b8}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-us
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn
detecthal Yes
C:\Windows\system32>

Last edited:
Hello, I picked the comment below from "My Digital Life" this may be some help.

This will not help people who have a boot resolution of less than 768 horizontal lines. Microsoft decides to limit the animation to a fixed minimum boot resolution of 1024×768. So if you have a modern widescreen display at 1280×720 during boot then you will be excluded from the new boot animation party and will see the fugly Vista earthworm. Sometimes I just think Microsoft engineering is full of people with learning difficulties and social disfunctions. They also seem to be stuck in a timewarp where it's still 1999 where they are.
I use an HDTV as my main display and unfortunately my VGA card's BIOS has it boot at 1280×720. It isn't until the proper VGA driver loads that the resolution goes up to 1920×1080 and that's after the boot animation.
I hope someone discovers how to hack this limitation. There must be a file or registry entry which controls this and surely we'll be able to tweak it.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
graphicsresolution 1024x768
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30
Did you put the graphics entry in the BCD Store?

An HDMI output should be the same resolution as the DVI. So Maybe two things could be responsible if it isn't the cable.

The HDMI inputs are handled differently that are the DVI on some monitors/TVs. I believe some of the Samsungs have an option to alter what an input might see. Such on one model, there is a DVI/HDMI option. But look to see if you have an option to change a label or type of any of the inputs in the menu.

The G 9600 may be putting out the wrong resolution on the HDMI output. I can't think of a way to change that on my Nvidia card, but you might check. Keep in mind, some HDMI outputs could be limited because of the Digital Rights limiting it to something less than 1080p, but not sure if this is would even involved.

You might try another monitor/TV or another video card.

Hello again, yes I did enter the graphics resolution in the BCD Store, this was one of my attempts to rectify issue, made no difference. The Samsung Menu has a HDMI and a PC option, it auto changes to the HDMI setting. Yes I think your last comment is correct re the GT 9600 GPU putting out the wrong initial resolution onto the Hdmi Cable.. I have tried another monitor on DVI only and as stated it works fine, I do not have another monitor with HDMI or another graphics card at the moment. Thanks for you help and comments to date I will keep trying with the help of this forum...thanks

No, it has the option of HDMI, PC and AV, the first 2 appear the same and will not lock on PC, however I can change it to lock onto AV, on reboot same result, the Vista boot screen. Thanks again for the ongoing help.

Hi all, I have attached a print from my Gainward Expert Tool, there is an option to link the GPU core clock speeds to run at startup. Can anyone say whether by altering these settings the resolution would be any different at the HDMI output and Hi Res screen to allow the standard W7 four balls boot up screen to execute in lieu of the old Vista boot screen.....Thanks

SnipImage.JPG

Back