Was It Ever Windows 10 ?

Shadow60

First, How do I find out if win 10 was upgraded to win 11 on a pc I bought, and I think pc did have win 10 because whenever I start pc, Edge comes up
and displays tid bits of win 10 info, but I still wonder how to prove it did have win 10 prior to the upgrade?
Second, How do I recover win 10 (if it’s still there) if Win 11 was installed over it?

Any help/assistance would/will be greatly appreciated!

First, there are a few ways you can determine if your PC was upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11:

1. Check the system information: Right-click on the Start button and select "System" from the context menu. In the System window that opens, you'll see the operating system information. If it says Windows 11, then your PC is running Windows 11. If it says Windows 10, then it was not upgraded.

2. Look at the version number: Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I, then go to System -> About. Under the "Windows specifications" section, you'll find the Windows version. If it says anything starting with "11", then it's Windows 11. If it says "10", then it's Windows 10.

3. Check the Windows Update history: Open the Settings app, go to Windows Update -> View update history. If you see any Windows 11 updates listed there, it's an indication that your PC was upgraded.

4. Check the upgrade notification: If you haven't dismissed the Windows 11 upgrade notification, you can hover over the Windows icon in the taskbar to see if it mentions Windows 11. If it does, then your PC was likely upgraded.

Second, if your PC was upgraded to Windows 11 and you want to revert back to Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I, then go to System -> Recovery.

2. Under the "Recovery options" section, click on the "Advanced options" link.

3. In the Advanced options menu, look for the "Go back to Windows 10" option and click on the "Get started" button.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the rollback process. Keep in mind that this process is time-limited, meaning you have a specific amount of time (typically 10 days) to revert back to Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 11.

It's worth noting that reverting back to Windows 10 will uninstall any apps or settings you've added since upgrading to Windows 11, so it's recommended to create a backup of your important files before proceeding.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

On my 1st question the almighty AI screwed up,,,, what I was trying to ascertain, was I how would I know if win 10 had been installed
first or if win 11 was a clean install.....everything "IT" suggested was done, and obviously it shows win 11...but it doesn't say what was
first....!

First, there are a few ways you can determine if your PC was upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11:

1. Check the system information: Right-click on the Start button and select "System" from the context menu. In the System window that opens, you'll see the operating system information. If it says Windows 11, then your PC is running Windows 11. If it says Windows 10, then it was not upgraded.

2. Look at the version number: Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I, then go to System -> About. Under the "Windows specifications" section, you'll find the Windows version. If it says anything starting with "11", then it's Windows 11. If it says "10", then it's Windows 10.

3. Check the Windows Update history: Open the Settings app, go to Windows Update -> View update history. If you see any Windows 11 updates listed there, it's an indication that your PC was upgraded.

4. Check the upgrade notification: If you haven't dismissed the Windows 11 upgrade notification, you can hover over the Windows icon in the taskbar to see if it mentions Windows 11. If it does, then your PC was likely upgraded.

Second, if your PC was upgraded to Windows 11 and you want to revert back to Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I, then go to System -> Recovery.

2. Under the "Recovery options" section, click on the "Advanced options" link.

3. In the Advanced options menu, look for the "Go back to Windows 10" option and click on the "Get started" button.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the rollback process. Keep in mind that this process is time-limited, meaning you have a specific amount of time (typically 10 days) to revert back to Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 11.

It's worth noting that reverting back to Windows 10 will uninstall any apps or settings you've added since upgrading to Windows 11, so it's recommended to create a backup of your important files before proceeding.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
How do I respond to ChatGPT??
On my 1st question the almighty AI screwed up,,,, what I was trying to ascertain, was I how would I know if win 10 had been installed
first or if win 11 was a clean install.....everything "IT" suggested was done, and obviously it shows win 11...but it doesn't say what was
first....!
Have to reply with quotes to the AI. I think you will see in Event Viewer and in the Event Logs, but you will have to do quite a bit of digging most likely.

I apologize if my previous responses were not clear. To determine whether Windows 10 was installed first or if Windows 11 was a clean install, you can check the following:

1. Check for a Windows.old folder: When Windows 11 is installed as an upgrade over Windows 10, it creates a Windows.old folder that contains the previous Windows installation files. You can navigate to your system drive (usually C:\) and check if there is a Windows.old folder. If it is present, it indicates that Windows 11 was installed as an upgrade.

2. Check the installation media or recovery drive: If you have any installation media or recovery drive that came with your PC, check for any labels or documentation that specify the operating system version provided with the PC. This can help determine if Windows 10 was originally installed.

3. Contact the manufacturer or original seller: If you are unsure about the original operating system on your PC, you can reach out to the manufacturer or original seller and provide them with your PC's details (such as serial number or purchase information). They may be able to provide you with information regarding the original operating system.

It's important to note that the presence of Microsoft Edge displaying Windows 10 information upon starting your PC does not necessarily indicate that it was originally installed or if it was upgraded to Windows 11. The information above should help you establish the original operating system.

Regarding the second question about recovering Windows 10 if Windows 11 was installed, reverting back to Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 11 is not a straightforward process. Microsoft does not provide a built-in "downgrade" option to revert back to the previous version.

If you want to go back to Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 11, you would need to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 using a bootable installation media. This would involve backing up your files, formatting the drive, and reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch.

Before proceeding with any reinstallation or recovery process, it's important to back up your important files and data to avoid losing any information.

I apologize for any confusion in my previous responses, and I hope this clarifies the steps you can take. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Back