Web and update not working but router, networking and WiFI ok

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by jhmac77, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jhmac77

jhmac77 Senior Member

How can I reconnect an internet connection that is only disconnected from the web, Windows update, etc. but networking is working, net printing and backing up to the other drives are working. This is a win 7 sp1 drive connected via ethernet. My router and VOIP and WiFI phone and laptops are working perfectly. Other than recover my drive or reinstall an update what do I do.
    Jim

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

If your local (LAN) networking seems OK but you're unable to get out to the world then it sounds to me like you either have a missing or improperly set Default Gateway or a problem with DNS (FQDN resolution).
    Basically start by running an ipconfig /all on the problem machine and then compare it to the same ipconfig /all run on one of the working "laptops".
    Just another quick test in a command prompt
    type
    ping 74.125.225.179
    if you get Sent 4, Received 4, Lost 0 <0% loss >, then your Default Gateway is OK if not then you have to resolve that.
    If the Gateway checks out OK, then open a browser and paste this
    into the address bar (not the search bar) and if Google opens then it's DNS and you'll need to resolve that.

3. Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe Well-Known Member

I see your conundrum... What people do not realize is that when you set up a network you are actually setting up two networks simultaneously. The first is an intranet ans the second is an internet. The intranet deals with all of your peripherals and talking to each computer within the network (a closed network, meaning not connected to the outside world). The latter, the internet means you have or want outside access and the availability to converse to other websites outside of the intranet.

This is what Trouble was referring to. I know it is a longer explantation...but just in case you were wondering as to why only half of your network was working and not the other...

Happy Holidays!