Windows 10 Welcome to Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Hello, this is a new forum that has become publicly available and is designed for use on July 29th, 2015. If you are running into an upgrade problem through Windows Update, presumably running Windows 10 Insider Preview, Windows 8, or Windows 7, please always specify the following information:
  • The operating system you are upgrading from
  • Hardware specifications
  • A detailed description of the problem so that our community can help you
If you are a technical expert, or consider yourself to be one, and wish to assist forum members with any and all upgrade process difficulties, please do not hesitate to use this forum.

Because this is a new forum, we do not expect major use of it until July 29th, so please do not use it to discuss upgrades of Insider Preview builds until Windows 10 is in stores and rolling on the 29th. Thanks!

I turned laptop on this evening and BANG!... Windows Updates is downloading Win10. First it says: Getting system files. Then it checks that ur machine meets the hardware specifications. Lastly it says: Downloading Windows 10, 2735 megabytes... I am happy and a bit nervous at the same time. Happy cuz it's been a looooong wait, nervous cuz my Windows 8.1 is working perfectly, just how i like it and im worried Win10 will have bugs & be un-stable...or that i'm not able to get back Windows 8.1 even with a 'system Image'.

Will anyone else wait a few weeks/months and not let Windows Updates download Windows 10? Or will u guys just trust in Uncle Microsoft and dive right in to the latest that its got to offer... ??

I have a stupid doubt. I'm a beginner here. I've reserved a copy of windows 10 on my laptop as well as desktop. Today the download has begun in laptop . can I use the update files downloaded in lap to upgrade the desktop as well? If yes, what are the steps ? I hate to spend another 3GB data to upgrade the desktop .
Thanks in advance

When I click the "Get Windows 10" icon and a pop up appears saying "Please wait" then the pop up disappears and nothing happens. Is there a problem with so many people getting it? I am running Windows 7 and I use a laptop.
My husband has the same problem and he uses Windows 8
Would appreciate your reply
Thank you

Last edited:
Trying to come up with a reasonable answer at this particular point in time is almost impossible. If it were a normal day, perhaps the process would proceed normally, but because of the probable load on the Servers, it might take longer than you would expect to get even parts of the process completed.

From what I have been seeing, they have not yet turned on the upgrade install. Perhaps 11 am Pacific time might bring us some news...

And Dipin, if you had the install.esd file it is fairly complicated to change it into an .iso. Windows 10 does have an option for downloading from another system on your LAN. Whether it will be able to do that might depend on whether you are upgrading both systems at the same time, which I choose not to do.

Some people in the Uk have already got it, would have been nice if they could have given some proper information. They led everyone to believe they would have Windows 10 on the 29th I cannot see this happening now. They must have known this when they first started talking about it. I am very disappointed.

upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1, now i have only italian system-lang., no lang. pack incld. for e.g. german. my PC is located in italy ...

Last edited:
Hey, This is shaggy, I heard on web and while surfing i got news article for windows surface from the Mydesktopforums
My question is I am unable to download Windows 10 on my system which has high definition. is this the same problem I will face if I will go for Surface.

If you mean the Microsoft surface this comes with Windows 10 pre-installed.

I went ahead and updated a little while back. Then I found the ads in the free apps and went right back to Windows 7. But, then my laptop started lagging a lot so instead of trying to figure out what was going on with it I decided to look into upgrading to W10. With just a little research I found you can disable ads system wide with the hosts file. I upgraded, applied the hosts file and now my laptop is running great. It's kinda surprising that the upgrade worked so well. It was definitely a slow process but the end result is Ok.

It's good to see you're still here Kemical.

Update: It's surprising to get awards when I haven't even been here for years. What's up with that?

Heyy!

Great to see you Stueycaster.. :) Does this mean we'll be seeing more of you? I hope so as we could do with some of the old gang back. Most folk are still around here and there but it's all got a little quiet of late. Anyhoo enough of my moaning LOL.

Good to see you man.. :)

Thanks Kemical old friend. I'll probably be in here again from time to time. So far W10 is running good. I'll prowl the boards and see what's going on. I've been hanging out in the XDA Forums playing with rooting and romming my phone. Once in a while I get to help someone fix a problem they're having and that always feels good. But it gets a little boring. It'd be good to hang out over here again too. See ya later.

Sent from my SM-N910V DE w/MoRom

Thanks for all. if you have any problems to update and upgrade windows 10, call windows support phone number or visit windows support official website.

nervous cuz my Windows 8.1 is working perfectly, just how i like it and im worried Win10 will have bugs & be un-stable...or that i'm not able to get back Windows 8.1 even with a 'system Image'.

Last edited by a moderator:
nervous cuz my Windows 8.1 is working perfectly, just how i like it and im worried Win10 will have bugs & be un-stable...or that i'm not able to get back Windows 8.1 even with a 'system Image'.
You can roll back within 10 days and possibly even extend that period of time using the command line. But your best bet might be a full image backup of your drive before you upgrade. Your concerns may be unwarranted, however, as its usually fairly stable.

Hello, Mike. I am on Insiders but I now need a run-of-the-mill .iso of W-10 to help a friend whose HD has quit. I have an address for the Insiders version but I need a non-Insiders one. Or is there a way to exit one's machine from being an Insiders ? Thanks for any help. Jean.

Hello Mike. You wrote :
Hello, this is a new forum that has become publicly available and is designed for use on July 29th, 2015.

Not much has happened since then. What is the story here ? Is this a dud ?

Have a great summer. JP.

Back