Well, there goes my cd drive...

BariMutation

Off all things to make it go bye bye, it would be a Rubik's Cube solution disk lmao

Luckily for me, I have a spare drive on hand that I know how to install. However, I'm not completely sure it'll work on this new computer (I took this drive off my old one). I don't see why it wouldn't, but can someone take a look and let me know if it can? I'm a little apprehensive because the front panel on my computer shell has this door and button thingy for the drives... the best way that I can describe it is an external button that, when pressed, pushed the actual drive button. The disk tray comes out, pushing the door open. Nifty to look at, but quite the hassle...

My computer:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

My drive:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
and
Link Removed - Invalid URL

My computer:
"(No product image available)"

^^ Good one! xd

0k, so, moving right along..;) :p That model you have listed, ET1161-01, from the looks of things -- it's the "All-in-one" -- on their website; So I'm guessing that's not it and I will ask if "this door and button thingy for the drives" can simply be removed, that section?!?? Over here (click) it looks as if it's possible:

In any case, if the cable's long enough, you could, technically, just let the drive hang out. xd

P.S.
Just check the jumpers.

P.P.S.
That blue connector IS the IDE port, so that drive will connect, btw. :)

Last edited:
To be completely honest, I'm lost now lmao I went ahead and tried to put in the drive last night, and it didn't even come close to fitting... at least from what I saw. The drive that was in there already had connectors I've never seen before (granted, I've only done this two times before), and there was no connector that would fit my new drive outside of the power supply. I'm sorry, but could you give more detail? Maybe I'm just not seeing something here...

You can do it

Off all things to make it go bye bye, it would be a Rubik's Cube solution disk lmao

Luckily for me, I have a spare drive on hand that I know how to install. However, I'm not completely sure it'll work on this new computer (I took this drive off my old one). I don't see why it wouldn't, but can someone take a look and let me know if it can? I'm a little apprehensive because the front panel on my computer shell has this door and button thingy for the drives... the best way that I can describe it is an external button that, when pressed, pushed the actual drive button. The disk tray comes out, pushing the door open. Nifty to look at, but quite the hassle...

My computer:
eMachines Official Site - - ET1161-01 Product Details

My drive:
oos: Memorex 32023254 16x DVD-ROM IDE Drive (Black)
and
Memorex MRXDVD16X 16x DVD-ROM IDE Drive (Black/Silver) Memorex 32023254 MRXDVD16X

I didn't see from the specs whether your current DVD drive is IDE or SATA. You can replace your current drive with about any other optical drive currently on the market if your motherboard has the required header available (IDE or SATA). Your current DVD drive has Labelflash which is Gateway's equivalent to HP's Lightscribe. Do not expect that function to work unless you install a Labelflash enabled replacement drive.

To replace the drive in the computer case that you have, you must completely remove the entire front cover. To remove the cover, you remove the removable side cover and release the two or three tabs that are holding the cover on that side and swing it outward to free the hook type retainers on the other side. (Be careful performing this operation as the retainer tabs are fragile.) Once the side cover and front cover are removed, it will be obvious how to release the retainer on the drive itself and remove and replace it. The eject button on CD/DVD drives are in a standardized position (even tho indicator lights and manual eject access holes are not) so the button on the front cover will line up with the button on the drive itself.

Hope this helps you. If you have additional question, post back and one of us may be able to further assist.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom