Windows 10 What CPU are you using?

If you own a Skylake i7 CPU would you upgrade to a Kabylake?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

ragnarok1968

I'm using a mobile i7-6700HQ.

Final question;
How long have you had this CPU?

I've had my Skylake 6700HQ since Dec 2016

**Note MSI has upgraded their Gaming laptop line to Kabylake systems GT73** line.

*** I wouldn't personally upgrade because there's really no noticeable performance positives and Coffeelake CPU's will release in 2018 Q2. Coffeelakes will transfer to the 10NM process. I would personally recommend people right now, looking to upgrade, wait.. until next year THEN upgrade to the new 10NM process.

Or join me and go Ryzen from AMD ;)

I've been reading a lot about the Ryzen CPU's. With the release of the Ryzen, I see a couple of positive things in relation to we users;

1. Ryzen will finally bring a tighter gap between Intel and AMD. Now the winners of this competition are the end users, lower prices, better products.
2. This will keep Intel honest in that, Intel hasn't really advanced any real technologies having been the monopoly in the market. As such, AMD gives users a second choice for building a PC/Laptop.

As with these two competitiors, they do have some agreements in that, they share some technologies with each other see here

Cross-license agreement (in simple terms, if Either AMD or Intel get aquired by another party, the cross license agreement is void.)

But I think in the end, We consumers are the invariably winners are we the consumers.

to add from my post above:
AMD clarifies cross-license with Intel: change of control terminates agreement for both | KitGuru
AMD clarifies cross-license with Intel: change of control terminates agreement for both

then there's this now..
AMD may license its Radeon graphics IP to Intel for use in desktops, high performance computing - ExtremeTech
AMD may license its Radeon graphics IP to Intel for use in desktops, high performance computing

The idea that AMD might license its graphics IP to Intel for inclusion in upcoming Intel CPUs sounds like the kind of headline we might write as an April Fool’s joke — but there’s a rumor that this may, in fact, be in the works. The question is, what kind of product would Intel wind up building, and when might it hit market?

This rumor comes courtesy of [H]ardOCP’s Kyle Bennet, who writes that “The licensing deal between AMD and Intel is signed and done for putting AMD GPU tech into Intel’s iGPU.” So why do we expect this could well be true, when it’s such a shift from the status quo? Several reasons. First, the $1.5 billion license agreement between Intel and Nvidia is drawing to a close, and there’s no sign that Intel is going to renew its licensing with Team Green. Intel took a baby step towards AMD’s side of the fence when it announced that future Intel GPUs would be FreeSync-compatible, as opposed to licensing G-Sync technology from Nvidia. Second, there’s the fact that Intel probably needs an IP license from either AMD or Nvidia, given how much collective IP the two companies have in this space.

***** I think for the sake of open dialogue, we can add in IP from both AMD and Intel since with AMD, they brought both CPU and GPU into the APU unit.

It is my understanding that Intel hasn't built any CPU/GPU in one unit as far as I know.

They do have their Intel HD graphics, so they're some way there to having a decent gpu.

I'm using a Haswell 4790K and it would be pointless of me upgrading Intel wise as my chip is still quite a beast.

However

Ryzen is looking more and more tempting especially as i've always used AMD in the past. I just got sick of waiting and putting up with that terrible single core performance.

Let's wait until the proper benches are released before we go running down to the store

I'm using a Haswell 4790K and it would be pointless of me upgrading Intel wise as my chip is still quite a beast.

However

Ryzen is looking more and more tempting especially as i've always used AMD in the past. I just got sick of waiting and putting up with that terrible single core performance.

Let's wait until the proper benches are released before we go running down to the store

I've used AMD since the days of the K6-II & III. I love AMD

My FX-8370 is no beast. Multithreaded it's rather good. But crikey the single threaded sucks. Though that said it runs games and everything I do brilliantly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kemical got me thinking of the past. the only amd that i had used was very briefly (asus eee-pc) … had bought it for friend of mine back in singapore. actually, i thought the $160 compact pc performed admirably (win-xp / 1gb-ram) … but the 10" screen 'n keyboard were a bit small. ahahah

as for ragnarok1968's poll at the onset … think i will just stick with the oem cpu.

in another eight years, if this laptop has kept me company for so long, will consider next move at that time. who knows … we might have quantum cpu's by then (2025). then again … microsoft may start mandating subscription-modals for even most basic level … at which point, i will go ubuntu.

@pnamajck I agree. Actually, with Gamers, they need to upgrade their systems to keep up with the ever-changing game requirements. But the systems today, with all the cores and speed, these systems can last for many years. It's gaming that causes all the fury of upgrades

That's more GPUs. Gamers really like those. Most games at most need 4 cores and core speed can be important. Is one of those weird balancing acts us gamers do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

@nmsuk I agree. AMD did go after odd cores. there for awhile they pushed 6 cores then a 3 core CPU. Now 8 cores is good.

I'm running a quadcore that has 8 logical processors. I'd say 4 at a minimum? what say you @nmsuk ?

I have been using AMD A4-3330MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz and I want to upgrade.

My Windows laptop has a i7-6700K which is the unlocked. I'm interested in trying out one of the Ryzen chips as they hold up to the higher end (double the price) intel chips. Using one for gaming wouldn't be advisable yet since games have no optimization for them and performance suffers; however, you can get a Ryzen and a good GPU, still spend less money, and have a good gaming experience.

My server has two of these :)
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 (20M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI) Product Specifications

Back
Top Bottom