Windows Vista What do you think of Windows Vista?

What do you think of Windows Vista?

• The best MS OS yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improvement over XP

• Shows promise

• Unnecessary technology

• Total voters

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I'm interested to know what some of you may think of Windows Vista according to the details we know right now.

*It will be an improvement on XP
*It will take using a computer to a higher standard
*it will be popular
*Microsoft will get $$

afridge said:
*It will be an improvement on XP
*It will take using a computer to a higher standard
*it will be popular
*Microsoft will get $$

Too early for me to say.. Only 200 something days left ;)

what does it REALLY offer?

Sure, its pretty. but pretty doesnt pay the bills.

Ok, the pulldowns in in the location bar of explorer are an improvement.. but im sure it'll be available in some form for free soon for XP.

Its slow on modern hardware

About the ONLY thing motivating anyone to upgrade is the new security structure (least privledged user or whatever its called), which most people actually find annoying anyway.

Bottom line? I don't forsee a lot of adoption. XP was miles ahead of 9x. 95 was miles ahead of 3.1. Vista is not really much of an actual productivity improvement for most users, so businesses and normal people wont bother with it for a long, long time. (unless forced)

I'm interested to know what some of you may think of Windows Vista according to the details we know right now.

Amazing. I am on it right now. Its just awesome. VERY similar to Mac OSX. But still great. All my programs from XP work on Vista (I just partitioned my drive so i have XP and VIsta) All i have to do is create a shortcut to the program on my XP drive and it works perfectly while saving drive space.

Not ready for prime time!!!

BUGGY!!! Build 5728 never seems to load the same way twice. Sometimes, CA AV fails, sometimes IE won't launch, sometimes there is no sound, IE & Explorer crash constantly!

And this is fun?????? :eek: :eek: :confused:

I too think it's too early to say. I think for current XP users it would be wise to wait for Vista Service Pack 1 to upgrade. I just installed 5744 last night and it seems the builds only get worse. I was perfectly happy with Pre-RC1 5536. And this whole problem with AV's being locked from the core is highly aggrevating. I know, I know, Avast works fine but I can't stand Avast. I like using AVG. It works great on 5536 with UAC turned off. But once you upgrade to 5600 or higher, AVG Resident Shield will not load. It's just annoying that it would work fine in one and then out the crapshoot on another.

I think for an OS that's 5 years in the making, I think they spent too much time making it look "pretty". Don't get me wrong there are some nice touches and I DO enjoy using something "different", but overall, I see it as a better looking XP with provisions for Microsoft to lock other companies' software out to force people to purchase their own.

I currently have 3 PC's, 2 G3 iMacs, and a G4 PowerMac, and everyday, buying a new Intel Mac, looks more and more appealing. This is all my own opinion though. To each his own.:D

RC2 seems to work better

I first had a dual boot system, but after trying out RC2 for a while, I am only using it anymore. It is fast, it is pretty reliable. The bugs in RC2 are minimal, and provided you read up on the issues others are having and the solutions that have been posted already, if you are getting ready to load RC1 or RC2 onto your computer, you can aleviate most of the problems.

tj

here are some news. I've got Intel Celeron 1.7GHz processor, 256Mb of RAM and nVidia GeForce 4000 64Mb video card and vista in here runs perfectly even better than XP Vista Aero and Flip 3D also work perfectly. on my other pc ive got intel pentium 4 3.0GHz processor, 512 dual channel DDR2 RAM and ATI radeon 9250 128Mb video card and vista aero and flip 3D dont work, i also got lots of problems with vista on this one.

Well, I don't know what to tell ya there. My notebook, P$ HT 3.06, 1 Gig Ram, INVidia GeForce FX Go 5600, Aero Graphics and Flip 3D were not compatible. But reading the requirements, I expected it. I had enough ram, but not enough video card for it.
Now, if you are running a newer video card, with at lease 128Mb dedicated ram, Aero shouldn't be an issue. It amy be your video settings or maybe your load giving you the issues.
I will, however say that Vista, even minus the Aero Graphics and Flip 3D seemed to work quite well. I am still running it on my notebook, despite the lack of.
And I am still enjoying the computer.

I've re-opened the poll. Its been awhile so what are some users / testers / evaluaters currently thinking?

Wireless broadband???

My ultimate dream is an awesome laptop, with Vista, with Wireless broadband, and Halo 2 which is coming out 2007!!

I'm using Wireless broadband now, it was all I could get a year ago. BigPond EVDO at 256Kbps. You can get 512Kbps, but I'm not sure it goes any faster in the 'real' world. I also witnessed a demo of BigPond Australia's new NeXt G at speeds of up to 1500Kbps. Took an awful long time to load the BigPond site!

Now ADSL2+ is maybe available to me, have ordered that. It's up to 20 Mbps. Seems better than Wireless to me. :)

Well, I'm not really enjoying it much right now. The system was rushed to shelves as a marketing ploy, and still has a lot of kinks to it. I fried my mother board, and went out and bought another PC, and could only get Vista. I have hardware and software issues alike.

Perhaps it won't be so bad once the kinks are worked out.

Windows Vista is totally gay. It's fucking stupid. It won't let me play games, and when it does, it's fucking slow. It's not my computer because it is top of the line. Once again, Vista is fucking gay. Fuck the people who made it. Don't buy Vista.

Mr Bob Brannon

I finally threw up my hands using the final beta build. I thought aliens had overtaken my computer... one day it would do something one way .. next day another way. Totally undependable. I was constantly reinstalling to overcome limitless problems and hard stop failures. Finally caused me to lose my LAN NetDisk data, that was the last straw and I sent an email to MS that I'm sure they did not want to receive. But it's a lousy product for accomplished computer users. Even when they work out the bugs, it is way to cumbersome for expediant use. And info/settings are like a video game .. take shots here and there until you finally find what you need. Help is not helpful.

Back