Windows 7 What duplicate files are safe to be removed?

StefaNafetS

Extraordinary Member
To put it shortly, I have that utility called advanced system optimizer and I performed a scan to find duplictaes on my partitions. It resulted a cluster of 10000 files. Ther are all kind of files and many are founded on several locations. I dont know if its safe to remove them and which exaclty should I remove( one from each group all etc). What put me on doubt even more is thati saw files bot located in c program data and in c users so I want to ask if its normal to have them simultaneusly in thse locations?

In case of system files, you cannot remove any. Many of those belong to the mirror which the System File Checker needs to repair corrupted system files.

For your own user files that is another matter. There you decide which ones you will not need.

Btw: Thos so called 'System Optimizers' are nothing but trouble. Those programs can make great damage to your system. I suggest you get rid of it.

Im aware of that but my PC is working smoother than ever. And this utility has many features that are not so distructive like you may think. Anyway regarding the same files located both in C \ users and in C\program data. If I remove those in C \users what would happen? and for the future how can i stopp these kind of files being "doubled".

No idea what exactly will happen. Why don't you take an image of your C partition and experiment then. If things go south, you can always restore the image.

For people who need to find and delete unnecessary file copies as a part of their everyday job - this duplicate file finder program has proven to be a boon - an absolute workhorse to say the least. Duplicate File Finder is a great help when you have to sort out a huge number of document image files. These files could be closely identical and yet different and need sorting on a certain basis.
duplicate_file_finder_2_l.gif

For people who need to find and delete unnecessary file copies as a part of their everyday job - this duplicate file finder program has proven to be a boon - an absolute workhorse to say the least. Duplicate File Finder is a great help when you have to sort out a huge number of document image files. These files could be closely identical and yet different and need sorting on a certain basis.

But the over-riding warning still must be heeded - that many duplicated files are duplicated for good reason and:

if duplicate files are removed on an uninformed basis it may lead to individual programs falling over and even complete system failure.

Removing duplicate files on your pc is an effective way to save more hard disk space. By using Duplicate Filter from http://www.duplicatefilter.com, you can easily and quickly find and delete duplicate files from your hard drive. It is fast, reliable and totally free!

Getting rid of any garbage is one's own personal responsibility. I throw out a chair, it's gone, and it was my deed. Can't get it back. Same goes in IT field - can you really give the responsibility to a program?

A very useful tool for getting rid of duplicate files is Duplicate Files Deleter. Download it and give it a try. ;)

i use DuplicateFilesDeleter to find all my duplicate file, it is easy to handle and remove duplicate file very fastly.

i use DuplicateFilesDeleter to find all my duplicate file, it is easy to handle and remove duplicate file very fastly.
Unfortunately it is not so easy to replace files deleted in error. The space typically saved is microscopic compared with a typical hard drive size and is not worth the risk involved.

I would sign with patcooke. At least, do check what you delete. The possible loss may be much greater than the probable gain.

"Nice legs, Pat". :rolleyes: Good picture.

If you use those duplicate file finders indiscriminately, it will find a lot of sytem files by the same name which really have to stay in the system (e.g. junctions). It is only safe to apply duplicate finders for user files - e.g. the Awsome Duplicate Photo Finder for pictures.

In case of system files, you cannot remove any. Many of those belong to the mirror which the System File Checker needs to repair corrupted system files.

For your own user files that is another matter. There you decide which ones you will not need.

Btw: Thos so called 'System Optimizers' are nothing but trouble. Those programs can make great damage to your system. I suggest you get rid of it.
try duplicate file deleter.

Would you dare deleting files without knowing why they are there? I don't. I would chose a re-install. It is the only save way.
Just my thoughts....

Back