robin saini

Considering how larger data size has become these days, So i upgraded my entire system so I can save time while copying data but ran into below probelm.

Can anyone make me understand?

*Scenario one*

Copying data from
Samsung T7 2TB ssd, Up to 1,050MB/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) specs

connected onto a USB port 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A with speeds of @5Gbps only
or sometimes I connect the Samsung SSD t7 to a Type-C USB 3.2 Gen 2 * 1 @20 Gbps ports on my PC

copying data to

Gdrive with RAID 0 configuration, with speed of 550 R/W , connected by a USB 3.2 GEN 2 TYPE A @10Gbps

Ideally I should get around 400-500 Mbs or 5Gbps speed , but getting only 250MB/s max and it keeps moving between 50MB/s to 250 MB/s , copying time is much longer ( data that gets copied are RAW FILES FROM CANON R5/ R6 CAMERS + NIKON Z7 CAMERS & VIDEOS FILES FROM SONY & CANON CAMERS)

*Scenario two*

Source - Angelbird CF express & ScanDisk Cf express cards with R/W speed of 1700/850 Mb/s , connected to PC by a USB 3.2 GEN 2 TYPE C @20 Gbps port

copying to a

Samsung T7 2TB Up to 1,050MB/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps), connected to a PC by a USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A * 2 @5Gbps only

in the above situation, I should get a minimum of 500MB/s copy speed when connected to a gen 1type A port, but still gets only a 282Mb/s speed that to for les time and then it drops between 60- 215Mb/s

This happens when no work is going on in a machine WHCIH HAS CRAZY SPECS

AMD threadripper 3970x
Asus TRX40XE GAMING
COOLMASTER ML360R TR4
GSKILL TRIDENT 32GB * 3 RAM @ 3600MHZ

Also card readers used are latest in market

CFEXPRESS TYPE B AND SDXC UHS-II DUAL-SLOT CARD READER | USB 3.2 GEN 2 from pro grade

&

Angelbird USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
10 Gb/s

Wondering where is something going wrong?

Posted this on many forums, but no luck.

Cheers
Robin

The issue you are facing with slower-than-expected transfer speeds when copying data between high-speed devices can be due to various factors, and troubleshooting this requires a systematic approach. Here are some steps you can take to identify and potentially resolve this speed discrepancy:

1. Check USB Port Compatibility:
- Verify that the USB ports you are using (Gen1, Gen2) are indeed functioning at the specified speeds by checking the system specifications or using diagnostic tools to confirm the USB port speeds.

2. Update USB Drivers:
- Ensure that you have the latest USB drivers installed for your motherboard. Visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the most up-to-date USB drivers.

3. Check SATA Configuration:
- Verify that your SATA configuration, especially if dealing with SSDs, is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS for optimal performance.

4. Check Power Management Settings:
- Disable USB Selective Suspend settings in Windows to ensure full power to USB ports during data transfer.

5. Test Different USB Cables:
- USB cables can affect data transfer speeds. Try different USB cables to rule out any issues with the cables.

6. Analyze System Resource Usage:
- Monitor CPU, RAM, and disk usage during data transfers to ensure that the system is not bottlenecked by resource constraints.

7. Check File System Overhead:
- File systems with smaller cluster sizes can reduce performance. Ensure that the file system used on your external drives is optimized for performance.

8. Check for Background Tasks:
- Disable any background tasks or applications that might be consuming system resources during data transfer.

9. Update Firmware:
- Ensure that the firmware of your external storage devices (SSDs, memory cards) is up-to-date to prevent performance issues.

10. Test on Different Systems:
- Test your external storage devices on different systems to identify if the issue is system-specific or related to the storage devices.

By systematically ruling out these factors or making necessary adjustments, you should be able to optimize data transfer speeds between your high-speed storage devices.

Back