Windows 7 What is your Windows 7 performance index score?

What is your Base Score?

• Total voters
mine is 7.3

Attachments

• owned.jpg
    owned.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 867
The reason the majority of users are at 5.9 is the the Hard Drive as is my case. If I had a SSD drive would also be in the 7 range area as you can see below
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.9 Mushkin Redlines timings 6 7 6 18 at 1603Mhz
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 7.3
Gaming graphics 3707 MB Total available graphics memory 7.3
Primary hard disk 1341GB Free (1397GB Total) 5.9
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.5

ok redoing mine with more detail yes everyone in order to go past 5.9 in harddrive you need SSD but they are way to expensive. and i have a dual graphics card setup so my graphics memory is almost 5GB windows performance index does not take dual setups into account.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.4 KB · Views: 489
just found this thread

Here is mine, nothing big, just avg.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I would need a SSD to overcome 5.9

it would seem we all do even HDD Raid0 arrays only score 5.9 prolly because of the lousy access times with 7200/10000 rpm HDD's as compared to next to nothing for SSD's although i haven't seen any 15k rpm SCSI disks in a Raid0 Array in here yet

maybe in 10yrs you'll be able to buy an 500GB SSD for $150 :p and so maybe in ten yrs when my Raid0 array goes toes up I'll think about getting one or two :eek:

it would seem we all do even HDD Raid0 arrays only score 5.9 prolly because of the lousy access times with 7200/10000 rpm HDD's as compared to next to nothing for SSD's although i haven't seen any 15k rpm SCSI disks in a Raid0 Array in here yet

Yes, all platter drives are capped to 5.9 WEI - I remember 25 years ago I saw HDDs in repair labs having two R/W heads on each platter side (2x2 heads up/down on one platter) effectively halving the access time by switching heads to reach far sectors. However, this kind of smart design is nowadays unthinkable coz no one is able to think outside the box.

In a sense we've been far more advanced in the time back then

Last edited:
yeah i can remember reading something about that although if I remember right the reason it wasn't used is it wasn't a cost effective design HDD's would have been double the price for only an modicum of performance increase far better to work on spindle speeds and R/W head designs for better efficiency/cost

At that time HDDs where the size of a table and data technology was still heavy and too limited - so an increasing spin speed indeed did the trick for the time being. BTW, those HDDs were real but rare. I saw a couple of them opened for head-crash repair :rolleyes:

However, nowadays this would boost 3.5 HDDs performance easily by 50% and the cost factor is minimal - let such a HDD cost $10 more...so what? :D

yeah i remember seeing the HDD at my sisters old work it had its own sound proof and climate controlled room was as loud as a jet plane and the platers were open to the air amazing to watch it work but by todays standards it's slower than a wet week stored bugger all and cost an inordinate amount of money and once a week got backed up to 12" floppy disks a job my sister hated with a vengeance...

i agree to a point about it helping newer 3.5" HDD's but i think that is one reason they are going the way of SSD smaller faster cooler and uses far less power now all they need do is catch up to HDD's capacity and cost per GB and we'd be sweet I just hate the wait though right now here an Kingston SSDNow V+ Series SNVP325-S2 512GB costs $2,676.74NZD and yet the equivelent sized HDD Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 32MB 500GB is only a poultry $84.62NZD thats 31.6x the price of the HDD :eek::eek::eek:

Here is my updated WEI score.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Here is mine
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.5
5.9 Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB 7.8
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 7.3
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.3
Primary hard disk 1338GB Free (1397GB Total) 5.9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom