Windows 7 what the hell did they do to the Release Canidate?

VKeeper42

i clean installed Windows 7 RC from using Windows 7 Beta for the last few months and im not happy.
heres a quick list as ive only been using it for a few hours:

- i loved the feature where you could hover over something on the task bar and it would show a preview of the window.
- i loved that it would make all windows except the one you were hovering over transparent.
- they got rid of the cool view when you *Windows Flag* + Tab instead of Alt+Tab
- the new system noises are... meh.
- it messed up my wireless.

specifically with the wireless, i use a pretty weak wifi signal from my neighbor. with Beta it worked just fine when i was sitting in certain parts of the house. it would keep the connection about 90% of the time. now im lucky if i can hold the signal for 50% of the time. im having a much harder time just opening this web site.

also, does anyone know if there is a way to move the "Desktop quick launch" button from the bottom right back to the bottom left where its always been?

<- i loved the feature where you could hover over something on the task bar and it would show a preview of the window.
- i loved that it would make all windows except the one you were hovering over transparent.
- they got rid of the cool view when you *Windows Flag* + Tab instead of Alt+Tab>
Well. all these features work for me, and I don't think I'm special :). Perhaps it's a bad install? Settings off somewhere?

- i loved the feature where you could hover over something on the task bar and it would show a preview of the window.

hoverb.jpg

It's still there...

I don't remember that one, but maybe I missed it.

- they got rid of the cool view when you *Windows Flag* + Tab instead of Alt+Tab

flipg.jpg

Still there...

- the new system noises are... meh.

They've changed??

- it messed up my wireless.

I can't really comment on that, as the laptop on my wireless works fine, but the router is only about 5 metres away!

:)

To the OP:

All the features you claim are missing are NOT missing.. ;) They are still in the RC.. As for the wireless problem.. that sounds like a driver issue..

I agree that it could be a botched install.. perhaps a reinstall will fix these issues for you.. :) I'm curious though, which driver did you use for your GPU?

weird... perhaps it is a bad install. i made sure to burn the image at 1x speed. i did torrent the ISO because its much faster, but the torrent said the file was straight from microsoft official Windows 7 RC download from their site.

here is what i get when i hover over the taskbar items (attached)

i didnt install any GPU drivers. all im running is whatever came with the W7 RC clean install with Mozilla Firefox installed.

Well that's definitely not helping matters than if you didn't even install a gpu driver.. ;) I would suggest downloading the RC from Microsoft directly (not from a torrent) than once you clean install it again, download the latest available drivers for your motherboard (these you might want to get before you reinstall just in case) and gpu.. That's the thing with Windows, you have to have drivers in order to make everything work as it's intended to.. ;)

hmm. i never did any of that with the windows 7 Beta install and everything worked fine. thanks for the advice though. dont really know where to look for the motherboard drivers or GPU drivers... :(

They shouldn't be too hard to find.. What is the exact model of your motherboard? (EX: Asus M2N-E). What is the exact model of your GPU (EX: ATI Radeon HD 4870)...

no need to reinstall at the moment. If you installed all your drivers the same way you did with the beta, try running your windows experience index test again. Go Start > Right-Click Computer > then click Properties. Where it says Windows Experience Index, click on it and run the test. Windows needs this score to determine if it can turn aero on.
If that doesnt work, press Start > type device > go Device Manager. Go down to 'Display Adapters' and right click on whats there and select update driver. Restart, then rerun the WEI test.
If that doesn't work, go to the dell site and search for inspiron 1721. Then go to the support section for it and download the Vista drivers for your graphics card and chipset. (While your there u could download the wireless driver). Install all of them, restart, and rerun the WEI test.
If all of that fails (i'd be suprised if it did), right click desktop and click personalize. at the bottom will be a link saying something like 'aero problems'. click on that and let windows figure out why your not getting aero.

umm... good question. all i know is that i have a Dell inspiron 1721.
Is this your computer? If so it says you could have ATI Radeon Xpress X1270 or Mobile Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics OR Nvidia Geforce Go 8400M GS/Nvidia Geforce Go 8600M GT discrete graphics... Not much help.

You should be able to go to control panal->device manage and click on display adapters to find out what you've got, assuming windows detected it correctly. Then upgrade the drivers from the manufacturer's page. They should be easy enough to find. You might, instead of going to ATI or Nvidia's pages, be better of going to Dell and looking for the drivers there. Sometimes notebooks have modified drivers that aren't directly supported by the graphics chip designers.

After upgrading your graphics drivers try going control panel->performance information and tools and clicking the button at the bottom-right of the window that says "Re-run the assessment".

I'm not sure of all the features you're looking for but the preview above taskbar one is called Aero Peek and can be enabled by right clicking on the taskbar and selecting properties then checking the 'Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop" checkbox.

You're not running Aero (which is most likely a result of not having your video drivers loaded). All of the features you noticed are missing are Aero features. If you run the basic theme (which you are according to your screenshot) you won't get any of those features.

Download and install your gpu driver from support.dell.com and then right click on the desktop>Personalize and change the theme to Aero. Then all you have to worry about is your wireless. For that I'd do the same thing, look for the most up to date drivers on support.dell.com and install those. If that doesn't help it may be an interference issue.

Does your neighbor know you're "borrowing" his wireless?

buy the hover thing you could say one of these
all of which are in buil 7100 or the rc
alttab.jpg

as you can see the calculater is still in the background but the other windows are transpearent
slide.jpg

sorry about the size
damm i left my seccond clock over the version number -stupid seccond monitor not working-

Back
Top Bottom