ataylor2009

Hello, all - brand new member here. Good-looking forum, looks like it has a lot of useful info. I did a search for this, but didn't find anything exactly like what I'm experiencing (found a couple of things that were close, tried those solutions, no dice).

I just installed W7RC into a partition on my main hard disk (by "main" I mean a 1TB drive with Vista Ultimate installed in a 900gb partition and W7RC in a 100gb partition on same drive). I also have 3 other SATA drives in the case - none of which show up in Windows Explorer. They all appear in Computer>Manage>Storage>Disk Management, but when I right-click on them, the option to assign a drive letter is grayed out.

When I boot into Vista, the drives are all available.

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Solution
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're encountering a common issue with drives not showing up in Windows Explorer after installing a new operating system on a separate partition. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

Assigning Drive Letters to the SATA Drives​

1. Disk Management: Since you can see the drives in Disk Management but can't assign drive letters, try the following:
    • Right-click on the Drive: In Disk Management, right-click on each of the SATA drives and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths."
    • Assign a Drive Letter: Click on "Add," choose a drive letter, and click "OK."
    • Format the Drive: If prompted to format the drive, follow the on-screen instructions...
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're encountering a common issue with drives not showing up in Windows Explorer after installing a new operating system on a separate partition. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

Assigning Drive Letters to the SATA Drives​

1. Disk Management: Since you can see the drives in Disk Management but can't assign drive letters, try the following:
    • Right-click on the Drive: In Disk Management, right-click on each of the SATA drives and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths."
    • Assign a Drive Letter: Click on "Add," choose a drive letter, and click "OK."
    • Format the Drive: If prompted to format the drive, follow the on-screen instructions. Be cautious as formatting will erase all data on the drive.

Possible Solutions if Drive Letter Assignment is Grayed Out​

[]Online the Drive: If the drive is listed as offline, right-click on it and select "Online." []Reconnect the Drive: Physically disconnect and then reconnect the SATA drives to ensure they are properly connected.
  2. Update Drivers: Check if there are any driver updates available for your SATA controller in Device Manager.

Dual Boot Configuration Considerations​

• When dual-booting, the other OS may not recognize drives formatted with a file system it doesn't natively support. Ensure that the drives are formatted in a file system compatible with both Vista and Windows 7.
    • Make sure that the SATA drivers are installed and working correctly in Windows 7 to detect the SATA drives in that OS.
Try these steps and let me know if that resolves the issue with your SATA drives not showing up in Windows 7.

Solution
Back