Windows 7 Whi I'm STILL keeping XP as well as W7

jimbo45

Hi all
I like W7 as much as the next person but there are a few reasons why I'M STILL keeping XP around for a while even after the final W7 is released.

These applications will NOT run on even VISTA, so no chance also on W7.

1) Legacy HP plotter and my Engineering drawing software -- it works fine -- I don't need especially at this time to spend around 3,000 USD on changing / upgrading hardware and having to learn a completely new way of changing the way I do Engineering drawings.

2) SAP IDES system will not run on W7 and is not likely to for a long time. The IDES is a complete training model of a total SAP ERP system that you can run on a laptop. It has a model of real business processes and transactions that you can do just like you were using the real SAP ERP system (100,000's users world wide) so it's an excellent training tool.

3) Minidisc applications -- I still take recordings at music gigs, photo shoots etc-- none of the modern "Ipod" stuff even comes close for making these sorts of music recordings / demos either on quality or convenience - although for simply just as a music player other alternatives are available. You can also send off the MD to the studio as a demo etc.

Solid state devices just don't cut it especially out in the field -- ever tried changing one of those tiny tiny cards you often see in mobile phones out on a sandy beach with a gale howling

4) Canon high quality Photo Scanner

5) Agfa 35 mm negative film scanner.

I have a few other legacy apps but those above are the main ones.

If I COULD get this stuff working on W7 I certainly would but for the foreeseable future I will keep XP around (as a Virtual Machine). Dual booting is too much of a hassle.

Cheers
jimbo

In my case, 1/3 of my software and 1/3 of my hardware doesnt work in W7, so thats a good reason to start with.

So far, I'm not seeing much advantage to W7. While the UI is different, I don't see it as better. It seems noticeably slower than XP, and various test seem to confirm that. Maybe time will show some clear advantages, but Im just not seeing them yet.

Ed

Two sollutions

@1- Compatibility mode- Use the program in xp compatibility mode

@2- XP mode- Use Virtual PC to use xp apps if your computer can use it and you are getting Pro or Ultimate.

I will keep XP around (as a Virtual Machine)
Then you will be using 7 more than you think.

If everything you have works in a VPC,,, then all you need to do is purchase Win 7 Pro and you get Windows Virtual PC and a free license to run XP Mode which is exactly what you are talking about.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Have a good day.

Although I have to question your motives for the post. After 651 posts here, how is it that you don't know about WVPC and XP Mode?

Hi all
I've tried Virtual PC --great Idea in theory but runs as slow as molasses -- it cant compete with a separate VM running in Vmware ? Virtual Box. I like the desktop integration but performance is really horrendous.

cheers
jimbo

VPC is good for testing and some other things, but not for daily program use. Just way too slow, however in a pinch can be useful.

Ed

Two sollutions

@2- XP mode- Use Virtual PC to use xp apps if your computer can use it and you are getting Pro or Ultimate.

@1 is not helpful when the program fails to install in W7. VPC only handles a small percentage of normal needs.

Ed

You could always just run XP full time and run 7 virtually. If you rely so heavily on XP why would you upgrade to 7?

Two sollutions

It is also the case that not all PC hardware systems even support the new Windows Virtual PC option in W7. Mine doesnt for example, even though its a fairly high end Gateway dual core with horsepower, ram, and disk.

Ed

I will also be running on XP after I purchase Windows 7.. ;) For various reasons.. I'll most likely run it on a seperate machine though.. :)

I have Win 7 RC and XP installed multiboot (some linux distros also) and I plan on keeping XP where it is after installing
Win 7 Home Premium sometime before next March.
I find myself not using XP much even now. The win 7 Rc is my primary OS at this time.
I don't have any "legacy" hardware that won't run in Win 7 although
I do have a program installed on XP (Partition Magic) that will not run in Win 7.
I use PM for all my partitioning chores including partitioning externally mounted HDD's.
PM will do ext3/ext2 and linux swap partitions quite well.

I find I'm not using linux much lately, though.

Keep XP, How 'bout 2000?

I likely will not be buying my first Windows 7 until, as I did with XP, about SP2. I have a graphics program that I have been using since DOS 5/Windows 3.11, and a flatbed scanner that performs circles around the current crop of "all-in-one" PSCs. Neither of these items will run even on XP, therefore I must maintain a Windows 2000 machine. I know that eventually, I will be telling a similar story involving Windows XP and Windows 7 or Windows 8. Until that time comes, XP will remain my primary OS and 2000 will remain my legacy OS and I will experiment with Linux and Windows betas on a spare computer. Up through today, I find nothing (not any linux, CERTAINLY not Vista, and still not Windows 7 RC) to replace this XP/2000 combination.

Windows 7 is no doubt a significant improvement over Vista, but a lot of Vista problems have just been "swept under the carpet" rather than being fixed.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

I still think windows XP is a very good OS. I never had any trouble with it. Troubles started with Vista. It froze sometimes it blue screened and it was ages before compatible drivers appeared for it especially in the 64 bit version. My cannon scanner still has not come up with a compatible driver. One of my friends recently bought a new PC and had XP put into it. I am wondering whether rather than go forward to Win 7 it might be better to go back to XP. What do you think?
:confused::frown::)

@nehoma

It really depends on your needs when you get right down to it.. ;) Windows XP has become legacy very quickly.. It is still a great OS for sure, but the fact is it's OLD and is only getting older with each passing day.. That's not to say it's no longer useful.. It can still be very useful to some.. But time is running out for mainstream support for XP.. ;) I still run XP on a couple rigs but not as my main OS anymore for the mentioned reasons among others..

As far as the drivers go.. Some stuff just will not have a Vista or Win 7 driver released for it.. EVER.. I guess that's the price you pay for progress.. ;) It's frustrating but it's a part of moving forward when it comes to OS's.. And I mean really with the price of printers/scanners/fax machines/ etc these days it's not near as costly to upgrade these peripherals as it was 5 years ago.. ;)

So really, it's up to you, XP would still serve you well no doubt, but you have to remember it's a 9 year old OS.. Support/new drivers will cease sooner then later and then you'll be stuck with a "dead OS" so to speak..

The interesting question is why people will want to upgrade, beyond those with the “its new, I want itâ€Â￾ views.

Those with Vista have the most to gain, as it replaces the dog they have with something that appears to be clearly better and actually installs as an upgrade. However many of these are regular consumers who have had their new Vista PC not that long, and may not be interested in spending upgrade $ yet.

Many corporate customers are probably still on XP today, and will likely not jump on the W7 bandwagon yet, as it will involve lots of work for every PC with a full install, followed by reinstall on any number of “approvedâ€Â￾ corporate apps, and then the user apps. The costs and labor hours involved will be substantial, with again the question of gain.

Those in the IT development area and other spot IT areas are the prime upgrade targets, as many have to stay current for at least testing (me for example). They are the givens, but not sure how big a market that really is.

Ed

I really don't think businesses will have a problem making the move to Windows 7.. ;) Sure it will cost and be time consuming but hey, those are both part of running a business... And with Win 7 the advantages of upgrading far outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion.. :)

All in all I think Windows 7 will do just fine.. The demand is already greater than it was for Vista at this point in it's development.. and I bet it's also greater then the demand for XP was when it was this far along.. ;) Of course time will tell just how well Win 7 will do but I truly think it will have no problems selling millions of copies..

I really doubt business customers will do anything this year. I would be surprised to see any substantial movement before mid 2010. Even then, its a question of what do they gain (beyond supportability) over their customized XP setups. Given the economic times, I see W7 as a hard sell in the coming 12 months.

Ed

A good example is the last company I worked for, which had about 26,000 employees. Each has a laptop or desktop with the same version of XP and a number of corporate approved apps. Some were further customized based on job role.

So change out for them is a big deal, way beyond the cost of licensing W7 for all those PCs. The change over costs is probably a couple of hours of labor each, before you consider the fact than some of the older PCs may not accept W7. Since each has lots of local data that can’t disappear, that further complicates the transition process. Then they have to plan and pay for the increased support calls to help lines for the thousands who can find their old stuff.

Pretty soon it adds up to real money, so its not an easy sell.

Ed

But you have to remember Windows XP is a 9 year old OS.. From a security point of view alone it's complete garbage.. ;) Microsoft WILL pull the pin on the legendary Windows XP very soon... ;) I don't care how many people have it installed on their netbooks.. It's going to die sooner then later..

I still say more businesses will make the move then one thinks.. ;) Sure it may be costly for some but in the long run it will be to their benefit to upgrade rather then to continue to piss money away constantly "upgrading" XP's security features that are badly outdated in the first place...

It's really just one of those things that no one can predict.. Yeah, "the economy is sh!t" but it's coming back slowly but surely.. And as the old saying goes "you gotta spend money to make money.."

Long term I'm sure you're correct. I just dont see it happening as soon as some. I also don't see spending $ on W7 as a pitch that works for "spending $ to make more $". Just not enough there yet, and teh support costs will go up immediately. Now by W7 SP1 time, may be another story.

Ed

Back