Which AV program for Win 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by winddancer, Jan 14, 2009.

1. winddancer

winddancer New Member

I've been using G-Data with Vista, but will keep crashing my Win7 64.

Heard Norton 360 isn't working either.

Any sensible suggestions?

2. SwiftGreg

SwiftGreg New Member

An Anti-Virus suggestion

Yesterday I loaded Windows 7 onto a machine I have at home and everything seems great. I installed Avira Free edition anti virus on this computer and it works with no problems. Today I loaded Windows 7 onto my new HP notebook, it also run excellent. I downloaded and installed AVG anti-virus 8.0 free edition on this unit and all is well. Hope this helps. Greg:cool:

3. mirski57

mirski57 New Member

AVG 8 works great for me

4. winddancer

winddancer New Member

I am trying Norton 360 3.0 (Beta) - as suggested by MS. Until now it seems to run fine.

I'd rather not try G-Data AV 2009 again! ;)

5. djwayne

djwayne New Member

I tried the Norton 360 Beta, and it didn't work for me. It blocked my modem from connecting to the internet. I uninstalled it, then ran system restore, and then was able to get on the internet. So then I tried the 30 day trial of NOD 32 and that's working fine.

6. winddancer

winddancer New Member

hmm just installed it this morning. I got internet access via network and it's working fine. I guess I'll do some indepth tests this weekend.

7. djwayne

djwayne New Member

When I first installed Windows 7, I was able to get on the internet in just a couple of minutes with no problems. So I downloaded the Norton 360 beta, and while installing it I lost my internet connection half way thru the install. At first it looked like my modem wasn't connecting with Yahoo, and it looked like a Yahoo problem. Yahoo would not recognize my modem, so then I thought maybe it is the Norton software, as I lost my connection while installing it. So I removed N360, and still couldn't get on the internet, so then I tried a system restore and that fixed the problem.

8. winddancer

winddancer New Member

have been trying it for several days now and it works fine for me.

9. HP Deskjet

HP Deskjet Senior Member

10. mynd

mynd New Member

11. deejaydee

deejaydee New Member

Avast a/v also works ver well and keeps updating itself thoughout the day
    deejaydee

12. jfdltd

jfdltd New Member

Sunbelt Vipre. runs well on win7 and uses far less resorces than the other AV programs.. Sunbelt software

13. jimbo45

jimbo45 New Member

Kaspersky is my vote --version also for W7. It's slightly more expensive than most of them but if you have a BARCLAYS online bank account (Barclays uk) you can get a FREE 1 year license.

You download the 30 day trial and then your bank account will give you the license key -- probably the only time in history and the only place in the known universe where a Bank has actually done something positive -- of course Fraud costs Banks a lot of money so perhaps this is in their interest as well to ensure customers have AV software installed.

The fact that this is developed in Russian Labs is actually quite good since a lot of the real nasty worms / viruses / trojans etc originally came from that part of the world so they've got decent first hand experience of dealing with this stuff.

Cheers

Jimbo

14. T3chDad

T3chDad New Member

#14 T3chDad, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. djwayne

djwayne New Member

Since my fresh install of W7, I've been using AVG Free, and it's been working very well, no problems to report.

16. Hidavi

Hidavi New Member

AVG 8 works just fine.

Norton 360 should never be installed on any computer. Unless you really really HATE that computer, but I can't imagine hating any single computer that much...