Windows 8 Whirling noise from hp laptop?

Pinkdolphins

For some reason my computer is making this whirrling noise and I don't know why. It only started this time when turning my computer on. I have hp coolsense on but don't want to turn it off as my computer might begin overheating. It comes from the top left hand corner of the second half of the laptop. I have been having problems with the laptop ever since I got it really. 5 months into having it, it started having a line across the screen and eventually just wouldn't go away so it was sent to HP under the warranty and came back fixed (though I have noticed that the sides of the screen click if pushed in gently). Every so often nowadays it will get this odd computery noise (indescribable really, it also happened today about 10 minutes ago and the whirrling noise was happening). I have had my computer since Feb 2014. The whirrling noise sometimes stops for a few seconds then comes back. It's no longer under warranty because I was not in a good financial situation when I got the popup asking me if I wanted to extend my warranty. I can provide the exact product number/name if needed. Is anybody able to help me?

making this whirrling noise
Not too many things on a laptop that can make that kind of noise.
My best guess would be the system cooling fan.
Not an easy fix if some compressed air to the vents doesn't help then it might likely be the fan sleeve or bearing and requires prompt attention if you notice the computer running warmer than you're used to.
The part itself is relatively inexpensive but the labor involved is likely to cost considerably if you don't have the requisite skills personally to perform the repairs.

Take it to a local shop and get an estimate for replacing the system fan.

The only other thing I can think of that actually spins in a laptop would be the hard drive and typically the noises that they produce when approaching some type of mechanical failure would not be described a whirling or whirring and I would expect other symptoms.

Not too many things on a laptop that can make that kind of noise.
My best guess would be the system cooling fan.
Not an easy fix if some compressed air to the vents doesn't help then it might likely be the fan sleeve or bearing and requires prompt attention if you notice the computer running warmer than you're used to.
The part itself is relatively inexpensive but the labor involved is likely to cost considerably if you don't have the requisite skills personally to perform the repairs.

Take it to a local shop and get an estimate for replacing the system fan.

The only other thing I can think of that actually spins in a laptop would be the hard drive and typically the noises that they produce when approaching some type of mechanical failure would not be described a whirling or whirring and I would expect other symptoms.

Laptop seems to be normal temperature. Still making the whirrling noise now :/ I'll probably have to send it to HP and pay whatever the extortionate amount is to fix it because the computer shop in my area opens like once every 3 months or something. What would be the other symptoms of a mechanical failure? I also can't find a way to disable HP coolsense and see if that is the case :/ used to be able to via the bottom right hand corner thing but thee symbol is no longer there and when I search it via windows key + w and find it, it just wont load and freezes the computer for a few seconds. I'm gonna update the computer as I haven't for a while, and see if that has any affect.

What would be the other symptoms
System boot issues, data corruption of various types, a ticking noise from the read / write heads (although if you hear that, then you've probably got bigger problems).

You may just have some dust bunnies, bothering the system fan. Sometimes a shot of compressed air, in and around the vent areas can help, although often the ventilation pathways are somewhat restricted (to anything but air), a shot of air might force any critters deeper into the system, exacerbating the problem.

If the system is not running hot while idle or under load, nor exhibiting any other symptoms in the way of performance, then I wouldn't panic.
As long as you can feel warm air being expelled from the laptop, then you're probably good for now. IF the noise stops and you no longer feel any air movement then, you have cause for concern.
There are some freeware programs like CoreTemp and HWiNFO out there that will allow you to keep an eye on your system temps, and......
If you discover that the system is running a little hotter than you expect you might want to pick up an auxiliary cooling pad to augment the system fan.
http://laptop-coolers-review.toptenreviews.com/

I've been looking at the HP website and decided to update the BIOS as I have never done that (on ANY laptop) because it says updating the BIOS may stop the problem (that is the article summarised as I have since gone onto another website).

Just been told I have 40 freaking updates :O I need to bookmark the page so I update more. Heres how the updates were allocated. Probably miscounted but anyway...:

Version File size Updated
Driver-Audio (1)
Driver-Chipset (5)
Driver-Graphics (3)
Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices (1)
Driver-Network (9)
Driver-Storage (2)
BIOS (2)
Diagnostic (1)
Software-Multimedia (6)
Software-Security (1)
Software-Solutions (5)
Utility-Tools (4)

Installed a BIOS update and during the update the fan was spinning really fast (could hear it) is that normal?

Installed a BIOS update and during the update the fan was spinning really fast (could hear it) is that normal?
I would expect so, yes....
During that point in time, it's strictly hardware doing its' thing and no software involved really to moderate or control the system fan is active at that point.
Did the noise that you have previously described get better or worse, when the "fan was spinning really fast"??

And doesn't the HP Update Advisor run in your system tray / notification area all the time..... blue orb with a question mark inside, sometime with an exclamation mark adjacent when there is something that needs your attention?

I think the noise previously heard was the fan because hearing the fan spin really fast was basically the sound previously heard but louder. Still can hear the noise previously heard now after doing a BIOS update (the one after that said the same file already existed so I didn't do it).

On the bright side, I now have a 'get windows 10' thing on the taskbar which I was beginning to wonder where it was. Now I just need to wait for July and then I can get Cortana (the only reason why I want windows 10). On a side note, I did previously have problems with the disk drive where I would put a DVD in and it would just make odd and concerning noises and it would always take about a minute or two to finally be able to get the DVD out. It likes the DVD the second time though. I guess its just one of those things.

The computer is hotter than normal now, but since its around the area where all the air comes out from, I assume it is because of the fan spinning really fast during the update.

You're probably just going to have to keep an eye (and ear) on it.
It's not going to fix itself, especially if it's the fan sleeve or bearing going bad.
If it stops then most likely that will indicate the fan has failed completely and will need to be replaced.

I just had the screen go black for a few seconds and then suddenly go back to normal. Noticed two devices were installing as well despite the only thing plugged in being the charger :/ Did try and do some research but everybody was saying how it happened multiple times and the pc would restart etc so I didn't think any solutions would apply (especially about the one about booting in safe mode, i mean, really?)

Not to worry. You might expect something like that as the BIOS Update might have included some updated device firmware versions for motherboard embedded devices, which would then require some driver updates, which might have installed automatically depending on your windows update settings.

Back
Top Bottom