Why are the Windows 7 graphics different on my laptop as compared to my desktop?

I have Windows 7 Professional installed on both my laptop and desktop. The graphics on my desktop look a lot different and nicer than the graphics on my laptop. I don't understand why. They're both the same 32-bit operating system.

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
It's probably Aero being active on your desktop.

Laptop graphics chips are usually based on mid-range or low-end rather than high-end desktop parts. For example, the top-of-the-line nVidia GeForce FX Go5700 is based on the mid-range nVidia GeForce FX 5700, and the top-of-the-line ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, despite the name, is based on the mid-range ATI Radeon 9600 XT. Granted these are old cards, but the principle is the same.
Laptop graphics chips are usually optimized to use less power through low-power components and power-management features. Even the best laptop graphics chips are not capable of running 3D applications (games) at the same speed as the most expensive desktop graphics cards.

Last edited:
I have Windows 7 Professional installed on both my laptop and desktop. The graphics on my desktop look a lot different and nicer than the graphics on my laptop. I don't understand why. They're both the same 32-bit operating system.
Install the video driver for the laptop from the manufacturer's website. It currently doesn't have the proper one installed.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.