Windows 7 Why are the Windows 7 graphics different on my laptop as compared to my desktop?

antone

I have Windows 7 Professional installed on both my laptop and desktop. The graphics on my desktop look a lot different and nicer than the graphics on my laptop. I don't understand why. They're both the same 32-bit operating system.

Laptop graphics chips are usually based on mid-range or low-end rather than high-end desktop parts. For example, the top-of-the-line nVidia GeForce FX Go5700 is based on the mid-range nVidia GeForce FX 5700, and the top-of-the-line ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, despite the name, is based on the mid-range ATI Radeon 9600 XT. Granted these are old cards, but the principle is the same.
Laptop graphics chips are usually optimized to use less power through low-power components and power-management features. Even the best laptop graphics chips are not capable of running 3D applications (games) at the same speed as the most expensive desktop graphics cards.

Last edited:
I have Windows 7 Professional installed on both my laptop and desktop. The graphics on my desktop look a lot different and nicer than the graphics on my laptop. I don't understand why. They're both the same 32-bit operating system.

Install the video driver for the laptop from the manufacturer's website. It currently doesn't have the proper one installed.

Back
Top Bottom