Windows Vista Why was SP1 DELAYED until MARCH??

As is stated in the blog here: Link Removed - Invalid URL the reason is due to driver incompatiblities.

I think he said it wasn't from the drivers themselves but from the installation. If you have a problematic driver you won't be automatically downloaded from Windows update. They'd prefer to wait until they can update those drivers. But if you absolutely have to have it, you can download it anyway at the download center. Is somebody doing some double talk there? If it's not something wrong with the drivers, and just from installation, then why do we have to update those drivers ??? Did somebody get that ? You know it's not exactly true, about security. There have been several spy programs that would have gotton through Windows Defender, my Webroot caught them. I can think of one spy program that goes right through, (Protoscan) Medium Security Risk. I'd have to check my logs to get the others.

This was copied from the blog:

As we update our customers to SP1, we want everyone to have a great install experience. We are going to stage our rollout of SP1 for current Windows Vista users to be approximately concurrent with the availability of Windows Vista SP1 on new PCs and in stores. There are a couple of reasons for this. Our beta testing identified an issue with a small set of device drivers. These drivers do not follow our guidelines for driver installation and as a result, some beta participants who were using Windows Vista and updated to Service Pack 1 reported issues with these devices. Because the issue was with the way the drivers were installed and not the drivers themselves, the solution was simply to reinstall the drivers. While this worked fine for our more technical beta testers, we want to deliver a better experience for customers as we make the update broadly available

I hope this makes things a little clearer....(lol)

Back