Windows 7 Wifi keeps identifying?

deMorphine

I have a Del INSPIRON N4110 windows 7 home premium trying to connect to the public wifi Library network, SFPL-WIRELESS ( which I believe is the SSID). I attempt click connect to the network but it always says unable to connect or it attempts to connect by keep identifying the network. Clicking on the details, it would send and receive some packets but then disconnect and try to identify again.

When identifying, the /ipconfig is:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\x>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lei-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : publicdomain.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : publicdomain.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-80-93-63-B6-CC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.12.10.64(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:02:02 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:04:49 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.12.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.12.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.publicdomain.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {C8999972-007E-43E0-9426-6D20936B3924}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5

C:\Users\x>

At mu house and other places, it would connect flawlessly but it's just this library where it has problems. It works wired and it DOES work at the library randomly, sometimes it connects sometimes it forsny.

I have tried flushing the netsh and such, setting the static IPs up above, but it just seems to work whenever it wants. I believe it might have to do with the static IPs, SSiD or something. The drivers are all updated.

If you need any other info, I can provide it.

It seems you are trying to connect to a public network. Public networks have different settings for firewall and sharing options. Can you identify the network as public and go from there?

Have you spoken to the library folks and asked them if the ip address seem correct? Or if there are any known issues you may need to address?

If you left click the wireless icon, how is that connection described as far as security, or signal strength, etc.

Looks a little strange to have your home network DNS server address listed, but maybe that is because it has not yet identified the network.

Also, keep in mind it only seems to be giving you a lease for 1 hour....

It seems you are trying to connect to a public network. Public networks have different settings for firewall and sharing options. Can you identify the network as public and go from there?

Have you spoken to the library folks and asked them if the ip address seem correct? Or if there are any known issues you may need to address?

If you left click the wireless icon, how is that connection described as far as security, or signal strength, etc.

Looks a little strange to have your home network DNS server address listed, but maybe that is because it has not yet identified the network.

Also, keep in mind it only seems to be giving you a lease for 1 hour....

Thanks for the reply, the network has been changed between Public/Home before, I'll see what happens tomorrow. This problem has happened at this library since the day I bought it, which is about 5 months ago.

I have asked them for help, but they are of no assistance. The network is very strong, it's usually 4-5 bars, and there is no security since it's a public library wifi network.

The Default Gateway is pretty much the same, but the IPv4 address occasionally changes, the possibilities are 10.12.10.78, 10.12.10.60, 10.12.10.61. It seems that it connects whenever it wants, I hardly ever turn on the laptop and see it connected right away though.

Last edited:
Is this the only public network you normally log onto?

If you open the Network and Sharing Center, and go to Advanced sharing settings, on the bottom there is a down arrow for Public. Have you checked those settings. Since Network discovery is turned off by default, if you have not already, modify some of those settings.

I can connect to other public places fine, such as Starbucks, McDonalds.

Here are the advanced settings right now:

1.png

2.png

I am not an expert on what the settings should be, but you have file sharing turned on and password protection turned off.

When you click connect, do you get any message at all?

You do not need to give it, but does the connection show an SSID and is that in your profile for the library?

About all I could suggest is you check with your fellow students and see if they are having problems, and what settings they may be showing. Since this seems to be the only public network causing problems, it might be something about it.

If the folks at the library do not know what might be wrong, there should be some type of tech department on your campus that handles such things.

I am not an expert on what the settings should be, but you have file sharing turned on and password protection turned off.

When you click connect, do you get any message at all?

You do not need to give it, but does the connection show an SSID and is that in your profile for the library?

About all I could suggest is you check with your fellow students and see if they are having problems, and what settings they may be showing. Since this seems to be the only public network causing problems, it might be something about it.

If the folks at the library do not know what might be wrong, there should be some type of tech department on your campus that handles such things.

When I click connect, it attempts to connect and it says Identifying, then it would say Connected, then attempt to Identify again. It does show the SSID.

Nobody else has this problem, this is in a public library not at school.

networkfail-1.png

You do show something on your system with which I am not familiar, the Akamai NetSession Interface Control Panel. Any settings on that which could help?

If you click, or right click the small bench on the upper part of the Network and Sharing window, do you get any options?

Back