Windows 7 Will 64bit benefit me?

MogRules

Hello all, I am new here and thought I would post a question and see what you all think. I use my system for Gaming mostly. A lot of WoW and such, Stats are currently

AMD 64X2 4200+
3G DDR DUal Channel
Nvidia 9800GT
Currently Windows 7 32bit 7100RC

I am going to upgrade to the newest version and reading some of the posts notice that many claim that the 64 bit version will actually be better for heavy gaming and what not. Just wondering if you think with my current system it will benefit from the 64 or am I better off to stick with 32 for now.

Hello and welcome,

Your system should certainly handle it, but you need to be sure your software is 64-bit compatible.

Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

But will I notice a diffrence, I guess what I am after is with my specs will I notice an improvment or is it going to be pretty much the same?

Yes, it will run faster, you should definitely be able to notice it compared to your previous 32-bit OS.

More RAM Would Help Even More

Upgrade your ram beyond 3 gig and you will see an even bigger improvement in X64 over X86. (X86 does not see all of your ram beyond a little over 3 gig.)

I wouldn't recommend installing the 64-bit edition unless you plan to upgrade your RAM past 3GB. I was running 4GB DDR2 RAM on 32-bit and decided to switch to 64-bit, and I really didn't notice that much of a speed difference, only that the full 4GB RAM was recognized.

I plan on going to 6G when I can but for the moment I am running on a 3 year old MotherBoard so I don't really have the space for the Ram. When I get around to upgrading the MB I will make sure I have the 64Bit edition. For now I think I will try it just to see and go from there. I keep all my stuff on a secondary Harddrive so I can always go back if I choose :) thanks for your input everyone :)

I always say if your CPU supports x64, use it. But dont take my word for it, try it yourself.

Well I went ahead and upgraded to the 64bit version, despite the possible drawbacks I do like to try new software and OS's.....*can't even count how many times I have formated....I don't think numbers go that high*

Thank you for all your comments :) I will let you know what I find.

Back