Windows 11 Win 11 update fails before I even begin!

Whatsisname

Hi all you technocrats
I was hoping to update to Win 11 but my computer fails on the following points;
Although there is a technical specifity to my questions, I hope it also opens up a more general discussion
My computer details at bottom of page.

1) Processor is 3rd and not 8th generation or beyond.
Could the motherboard support an Intel 8th generation or above processor?

2) Motherboard is not on the approved list.
Would any advisable updates to the motherboard bring it within acceptable limits also with a view to future Win 11 developments in the pipeline

3) TPM not detected
Given that any other alterations, as in 2) above, to the original motherboard is approved for Win 11, will the Motherboard successfully accept the TPM chip to run TPM 2.0

In general.
Would it be more cost affective to change the motherboard complete with processor and TPM to a Win 11 compliance?

Alternative.
Given the 4 year gap between Win 10 Version 1 and 21H1, will 21H1 support go beyond Oct 2025?
In which case waiting to buy a new computer until then will hopefully encapsulate more up to date technology.

I do not run games, the computer is used for home business and personal interests, The present setup below is quite adequate in speed etc.

Processor Ivy Bridge, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240T CPU @ 2.90GHz benchmark V 17.01.64

Installed RAM6.00 GB (5.70 GB usable) DDR3 Dual Channel

Device IDB55D83F2-BBBB-4238-9760-1A4099B44EB8

Product ID00326-10000-00000-AA227

System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Motherboard Asus K5130 Version revision X.0x

Graphics ASUSTeK Intel HD Graphics Rev 9

1Tb memory HDD

wired; mouse, printer, router/modem

EditionWindows 10 Home

Version21H1 auto updated

Installed on‎24/‎08/‎2020

OS build19043.1237

ExperienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

just stay on Windows 10 until you are ready to get a new computer... you have 4 years remaining to find a good deal on a I7 or Amd system before the deadline

I take your point gentlemen. The only nagging at the back of my mind is that I have had free upgrades since the original Win1, I'm 73 and programmed in basic if it helps to put it in perspective.
Will I lose the link between free upgrades if I miss 11 now and hereafter have to buy anew, later to Win 12 or 13 in 4 years when 10 is no longer supported?

well you can still upgrade to W10 for free so I don't see Microsoft changing that anytime soon... they make more $ by selling your details and giving you adds

Not too interested in the advancements" in Windows 11, but, for heck, I decided to have a go. Windows 10 pro to Windows 11 Pro.

I downloaded onto a USB.. - Not bootable.
From there I ran setup.
At the start, after the usual agreement which I had to acknowledge, a paragraphed warning came up. The usual - My Computer was not compatible. If I continued to install, the OS might be unstable and MS were not responsible for any damage etc.. I had to agree to this and the the start went through to the end.

1633422520427.png

I've had zero issues upgrading two systems to Windows 11. It's noticably faster than 10, additional security built-in and no issues with any applications. I'm looking forward to the 20-30% smaller Windows updates.

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 is great for running native ELF binaries with about 95% performance of Linux on baremetal.

Thanks Guys.
Neemobeer, one last thing, you have not mentioned if your 2 systems were fully compliant with regards to the PC Health check scan?

My computer works fine, Microsoft suddenly gave me optional updates to 13 drivers, a month or two ago for hardware. I did not use any as I found it all a little intimidating from a point of view of causing system upset. Their caveat was "If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might help. Otherwise, automatic updates will keep your drivers up to date".
Seems a strange way of offering updates, I either need them or not!

1) Should I take the plunge & try them all in the hope it might bring me to to win 11 compliance, though my series 3 Processor seems a step too far. This makes me wonder if series 8 or better is an arbitary fits all, were even a lower series, given the correct driver environment, would suffice.
Any takers on answering that specifically please?

2) Has anyone successfully updated to Win 11 were they are in series 8 Processor shortfall, such as mine, of the Win 11 requirements.

Regards to all for your continuing interest

I would probably just stay on Windows 10 unless Microsoft changes their supported CPUs. Microsoft has stated they won't provide updates to devices that don't meet the requirements.

I would probably just stay on Windows 10 unless Microsoft changes their supported CPUs. Microsoft has stated they won't provide updates to devices that don't meet the requirements.
Well that's it folks, all answered out, unless the processor one size drawback is eased . Thank you all for your help

I’m with neemobeer on this. Previously, the infrequent try out of the Betas. Now the full blown legal version. I think i have run it enough to firm up a decision on using it. The answer could be “why not” I installed, agreeing to keep my software and settings. So far, I can see no difference. On the other hand, I have moved on. But, I am thinking I will be reloading Win 10. I am totally familiar and comfortable with it.

To be fair to MS. This is an old and incompatible machine. Possibly because of that, I cannot detect any performance difference.
We have had a controversial thread elsewhere on the increased security. It does not interest me as much as it might business users. I take care of my own security - worked for me for asbout 38 years.
But who knows. Curiosity killed the cat. Maybe I will be tempted again.
Whatsisname: I think we have been offered those updates for quite a while under “optional updates”. As MS says in the same offer “If you computer is running ok - don’ t fix it” More reliable way is to go through all the significant hardware, in the Device Manager, and check on the web for updates. You may get some surprises!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom