Windows 7 Win 7 and program compatibility

GTBill

I'm an old man and I'm not as up on these computers as you younguns. I've had a Samsung SCX-4100 printer/scanner for years. Always worked great. Old computer died an ugly death and I was forced to buy a new machine. Has Win 7 (had XP sp3).

Samsung has a scanner utility called SmarThru 4. Used that to scan all the simple stuff I wanted to scan. Served the purpose. Now SmarThru 4 doesn't recognize the scanner. One odd thing though is that if you hit copy in the same utility it will scan and print. The printer part of the All-in-1 works perfectly. Try to scan normally and it says "Cannot open device."

I have installed and uninstalled all the software and drivers for 2 full days now to no avail. I bought RegistryBooster here, uninstalled all the software, cleaned the registry and re-installed. Still the same. BTW Microsoft claims there are no compatibility problems with the SCX-4100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This move to Win 7 has cost me a small fortune.

Windows 7 Home Premium
HP Pavilion p6520y. 8GB Ram (I added 2GB).

OK, false alarm. I have to say Samsung software was no help but there is a Settings button that you have to use to configure what scanner driver you are going to use. But I have to say it is not intuitive at all. You would think Samsung would fill that in automatically with THEIR scanner driver.

I suppose I'm just venting at them for my shortcomings but still...

I'm an old man and I'm not as up on these computers as you younguns.
If you're including me in that comment, at a sprightly 52 going on 28 then I'm flattered. If you're not including me in that comment, then s*d yer!! ;)

But glad you got your scanner issue sorted! I've had issues with Samsung stuff in the past i.e. "You can do blah-de-blah with this hardware." Yes, I know, please tell me HOW though!!

Last edited:
Elmer, I'm definitely including you in that group you whippersnapper! Of course, I'm so old I don't know what s*d yer!! even means (like to know though. Might be fun).

Elmer, I'm definitely including you in that group you whippersnapper! Of course, I'm so old I don't know what s*d yer!! even means (like to know though. Might be fun).
s o d you (UK saying), as in b u g g er off, or a general cuss word. Lot nicer than the "F" word, but same sort of meaning, depending how said though!

Hi I happened upon this exchange and just wanted to say I am in same place (and older) - its costing me a fortune too having to change from XP to 7!! and my older HP printer didn't work either. Finally got it sorted but had to download 380MB!! from HP just to get a driver.

Ah yes, thank you Elmer. Always good to get a different perspective on things.

Sandyocean, I'll bet you've have to replace a couple of hundred dollars worth of software too! But the time is what is killing me. I just don't have all that much time left!

But the time is what is killing me. I just don't have all that much time left!

Some cynical people would probably say that you'll eventually have a perfect PC set up..... to leave somebody in your will.

I, of course, am not a cynical person!! ;)

To GTBill The time!!! It has taken and is taking ages to learn it and the hassle of finding out what doesn't work and seeing if that can be fixed. Some can I discovered as with the HP printer- but after extensive checking was informed the only way it could happen was to download driver plus software. Anyway, it worked which is more than I can say for some othe things. Like the much missed FrontPage (for creating website) which doesn't work with 7 and is a crime of major proportions by Bill Gates - who up until now I thought was great for bringing computering to the masses (eg me!) . That upset a lot of us.

One day, when i am near my deathbed no doubt, I will have grasped Windows 7 and maybe will appreciate it. The Search bit is handy - see I found something good. It took me an hour to find where the Send and Receive box in Outlook Express had gone. Found it in a drop dwon tool bar item called SYNC!! Can you believe it. WHY!! Cause it sounds more groovy for the techno wizzes.

Getting fed up with Windows Live Mail,so I tried Mozilla Thunderbird - more time. Only to find huge difficulties creating accounts. It auto find my server as a IMAP instead of a POP server which means can't log on. That sounds technical, I know. Just trying to change it, you can't believe the trouble. Basically you can't change it by any sane method, even via manual change. And that is also data via the forum.
Just wanted to moan to someone.
By the way - I have a feeling that you are around for some time yet - and my feelings are rarely wrong - well never really. So you have time to learn it all!!

Like the much missed FrontPage (for creating website) which doesn't work with 7 and is a crime of major proportions by Bill Gates - who up until now I thought was great for bringing computering to the masses (eg me!) . That upset a lot of us.
sandyocean:
Don't know if you have stumbled upon it yet, so I just thought I would let you know that Microsoft has an offering called Share Point Designer, which you may find a potential replacement for Front Page. I, like you thought that I would miss using front page but found that once I was able to setup the IDE (Integrated Design Environment) the way I liked it, which of course was pretty much like good old front page, the learning curve was pretty shallow and I've found it a pretty easy transition. And best of all....it's free
Download details: SharePoint Designer 2007
about a 300 meg download with all the whistles and bells. Just thought I'd let you know if you were looking for something to replace front page, from another old timer, just trying to hang with the young guns.

Thanks for that. I will have a look. I tried Serif briefly. Nightmare. It cant use an existing gwebsite already on your hard drive - unbelievable. You can Importyour sitet straight from the Web but what a mess it turns out - needing lifetimes to reset everything. I did ask the experts and 'no, you cannot access your website and yes you do have to reset everything.' Other option is Expression but that is not free. Will look at your suggestion

I have (almost) the same problem. Swap from XP to Win 7, have a Samsung SCX-4100. Drivers for printer and scanner been installed from the Samsung site, also I downloaded the Smarthru 4 and installed. File name was:
20070816143225781_Smarthru4_SCX-4100_Vista.exe

Installation looks ok but happens nothing when I click on the ControlPanel icon. I tried all the compatibility mode and admin mode but same: no error message, nothing at all when I try to run.
Any idea?

(ps: printer works from other applications)

Last edited:
Back