Win 7 do not allow me to use 4 Gb of RAM - just 2 Gb...

:( I'm getting so tired. No one seems to have the answer or solution on how to solve my issue.

Before I had XP Professional and bought 2 Gb extra RAM but realized very fast that since I have 4 pcs of parallell Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 graphic boards I can not utilise more RAM under that OS anyhow.

So I upgraded - installed Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and hoped to be able to use my new RAM sticks. Now I realized that my sound board Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music doesn't allow me to use more than 2 Gb RAM under this OS to work properly.

I've attached some CPU-Z data and a picture of the properties of my computer, (unfortunately in Swedish), but what it says
is that I'm just to allowed to utilise 2 Gb of my 4 Gb RAM.

(And yes - all RAM has the same speed and are recognized by bios).

I'm trapped in a loop of problems - and would really appreciate any advice.

Attachments

Did yo upgrade Xp to 7 ? Clean install is preferred.

Do you have any devices connected that are responsible for reserving 2gb of your Ram address space ?

Have you tried finding bios updates?

Last edited:
Clean install on new drive and no allocation that I know of.

Thanks for starting the discussion. I have a clean install from scratch on a fresh drive and there is now device allocating that I know of - how could i check?

Then, I've limited the RAM to 4 Gb in my msconfig. Without that limit - letting OS handle the use of RAM my soundcard just freaks out and sounds morphing...

PJK

Ram truncating

I had a similar problem with Win7 Enterprise (64bit) when I tried to run 8GB of ram. It turned out to be a conflict with my nVidia Quadro video drivers. I ditched that card and went with a nVidia GeForce GTS 250 and everything runs great now. I would try swapping out add-in cards such as sound, video etc. one at a time (uninstalling the drivers of course) and see what happens.

:( Well, thanks for the suggestion but I am not very happy to have to buy a new graphics board to be able to use my RAM.

Any other suggestions, registry tweaks, boot.ini flags etc?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.