Windows 7 win 7 often not opening updates, pages or dling files.

jfryjfry

Super noob here... I know cars but not much about computers, and next-to-no exposure to win 7, so please bear with!

Bought a Toshiba a505 used, a few months old, from a lady who knows less than I about computers.

Her boss, a "computer expert," messed with it, putting things like norton and office on.
They tried to remove norton at some point, but it was still there but not working. i've managed to delete most, if not all of it, but i'm sure there are residual pieces around.

I'm not sure if it is the cause of my problem, but does seem to be the error i get in the diagnostics attached below.

As far as I can tell, everything works fine except it won't dl updates (for things like avg and itunes, but will dl windows updates) and some programs (like norton's removal tool).
It says that connection to server failed, and other various warnings of similar nature (cannot connect, cannot open page, check connection)

I tried some of the suggestions, including diagnostic results. even clicking on the "explanation of error codes link" pulls up an explorer page that won't connect.
the results:
-----
Error

Symptom: Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed (this is a link)
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, BHDrvx64, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_BHDRVX64\0000.
Resolution:
1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager, Manage Devices in Windows

Informational
Symptom: The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
Resolution:
1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
-----

I'm using the computer now, so it obviously works partially. appreciate any ideas!

Having wireless connection issues -- please help!

i've searched and not found any solutions (doesn't mean they're not there, I just spent 2 hours browsing and trying different things with no luck).

The problem is I cannot seem to update the two programs i've installed -- avg and itunes. it tries, (avg shows the files that need to be downloaded, and starts) but then says connection with server failed.

I tried downloading a few files and some have worked and some haven't, same issue.

I just tried hooking up a new wireless printer, and it says there is a connection issue and it won't print.

I bought this from a lady who knows less than i about computers (if possible), who's boss installed norton. they tried to remove it I believe because it didn't work, and I've managed to delete all of the files I could find.

I did get this from the diagnostics results:

"Error

Symptom: Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed (this is a link)
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, BHDrvx64, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_BHDRVX64\0000."

could this be the prob??

let me know what other info you need to help diagnose.
thanks so much guys....

i've searched and not found any solutions (doesn't mean they're not there, I just spent 2 hours browsing and trying different things with no luck).

The problem is I cannot seem to update the two programs i've installed -- avg and itunes. it tries, (avg shows the files that need to be downloaded, and starts) but then says connection with server failed.

I tried downloading a few files and some have worked and some haven't, same issue.

I just tried hooking up a new wireless printer, and it says there is a connection issue and it won't print.

I bought this from a lady who knows less than i about computers (if possible), who's boss installed norton. they tried to remove it I believe because it didn't work, and I've managed to delete all of the files I could find.

I did get this from the diagnostics results:

"Error

Details: The device, BHDrvx64, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_BHDRVX64\0000."

could this be the prob??

let me know what other info you need to help diagnose.
thanks so much guys....
When you say "I bought this from a lady" do you mean the computer or the printer. In either case, I would suggest down loading and running the Norton removal tool, from here Link Removed - Invalid URL
then using the control panel uninstall applet to uninstall AVG, there may also be an uninstall / removal tool for that, I just don't know of any one right now. Then download and install Microsoft Security Essentials from here Link Removed due to 404 Error and then run the update utitlity. Reboot your system on last time and run a full system scan with MSE.
Please provide some more detailed information regarding your computer as well as the printer you are trying to install, and some specifics as to your wireless adapter manufacturer model name, model number, revision number as well as your wireless router same information.

First thing I would check is to make sure your system is bug free. Run antivirus software, and any spyware, malware and adware software you have. Then defrag hard drive and run a registry cleaner for loose, corrupt and non existing paths. Then reboot. If you need a list of such software let me know.

What browser are you using to download updates? Try a different browser like FF, Chrome and see if you get same issue.

Try turning off your firewall and check to see if updates work and installation printer.

I would suggest doing away with AVG and going with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).

Also check the MS updates for any system updates that you might be missing.

more info

thanks so so much for your responses, guys.

to clarify, the printer is new, the computer was purchased used.

I uninstalled avg, and installed the microsoft security essentials which found no problems.
(these with appropriate rebootings)
I tried to install spybot (the only spyware/adware software i'm familiar with) and about half way throiugh the process, it tried to access someting to dl some files and had the 'no connection' problem.

when I try to download the norton removal tool, it cays it can't open the page and says:

"This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
  • Internet connectivity has been lost.
  • The website is temporarily unavailable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section"
some system info:
64-bit win 7
A505 Toshiba (Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 Laptop)
printer: hp photosmart c4780
Wireless router/modem: Verizon ActionTec GT704WG (probably 3 years old)
I'm not sure what the internet adapter means... it's 802.11b/g/n. is that what you need?
Edit: Does Realtek rtl8191se help?

I can't find any registry cleaner that didn't have a load of people having problems after running it, so i'm holding off on it.

I've turned off the windows firewall with no change.

The problem does not seem to be with explorer, as it won't connect to the printer either, independent of the browser.
Could it be a problem with the wireless router/modem? maybe it's too old?

Last edited:
possible cause?

So i've spent almost all day trying to figure this out, and i think i may have finally found something...

In the WirelessNetwork Connection window, it has the IPv4 Connectivity as Internet, but the IPv6 Connectivity says 'no network access.'

honestly, i don't even know what those things are (enlightenment anyone??) but it seems that most people's problems with this is due to an out-of-date router that is not win7 compliant.

any thoughts??
any shortcuts around it?

I tried disabling it and it didn't make any difference...

the only problem with this theory is that it seems that the v4 is where the computer is supposed to communicate with printers (although the printer says it's windows 7 compatible), and that is not working in addition to some downloading.

Hello !!

O.K i'll number them so i would be easy for you to follow

1, First uninstall all the Anti-virus / Firewall products from your Computer using the Removal Tools to make sure it all the entries are gone

2, Often connection problems are caused by malformed winsock entries and invalid LSPs (Layered Service Providers). LSP entries are responsible for managing your inbound and outbound internet traffic.
Start | CMD | Right Click and Run as Administrator

netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)​

Reboot the System then Test it.

3, Start | CMD | Right Click and Run as Administrator

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

4, Download Malwarebytes and install and do a complete scan

5, Download Autoruns for Windows then open the Zip file and double chick on Autorun.exe and give few mins then go to File | Save the name would say AutoRuns.arn save that then upload that files here.

Hope this helps,
Captain

Thanks for your help, Captain!

Followed directions with no luck.
i dl'd the malware program, and used it, but when I got it, it tried to check for the latest version and got this error:

"MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING. (12029, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)"

no malware, and i ran the autorun, but the results file type (.arn) is not one allowed to be uploaded.
i zipped it up but it won't let me attach the resulting folder.

i saved it as a text but it looked like it would be near-impossible to decipher.
should i email it to you or is there another way?

on a side note, when i wasn't getting responses here, i started a thread with more info in Networking:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...g-wireless-connection-issues-please-help.html

The Toshiba updater can't connect either, getting this error:

"Attempt was made to access a socket forbidden by its access permission 216.23.181.233:80"

Thanks so much for your help...
this is killing me!

Last edited:
Get this error with malwarebytes (suggested to try by another moderator, which i did, it found nothing, so i removed it):

"MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING. (12029, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)"

The Toshiba updater can't connect either, getting this error:

"Attempt was made to access a socket forbidden by its access permission 216.23.181.233:80"

so i've learned that the v4 and v6 are two different versions of connecting, and v6 is the latest, but it seems that it should still connect without issue.

help, please!

Hello !!

Upload that File to Megaupload and post the Link here. And go to C | Windows | System32 | Drivers | etc | there you can find a file called "Host" open that file with Notepad and post the Contents here.

- Captain

It sounds still a little like you may have some bad drivers or other corrupted files relating to your wireless card.
Do you have the option to connect the computer using the Wired LAN connection directly to your router. If so please use it and open device manager, expand network adapaters and for the time being, disable the wireless by selecting and then right clicking and choosing disable.
Also click the start orb, choose all programs, accessories, right click command prompt, choose run as administrator and type sfc /scannow and see what the system file checker finds.
Finally, try rebooting the computer into safemode with networking and run both Spybot Search and Destroy as well as malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM), make sure you choose to update both before running them and with MBAM choose to do a full scan, generally both these programs perform better and get better results when done using safemode anyway. Of course it all depends on whether or not you can use the wired connection successfully.
Keep us posted.

Hello !!

Upload that File to Megaupload and post the Link here. And go to C | Windows | System32 | Drivers | etc | there you can find a file called "Host" open that file with Notepad and post the Contents here.

- Captain

Awesome.
Thanks!!
here goes:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

thanks again

Hello !!

The Host file seems to be OK. Looks like there are lot of Norton entries still hanging in your Computer that could be more likely the issue. Run the Norton Removal Tool Link Removed - Invalid URL and see if that remove successfully if not the use Revo Uninstaller Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems free edition then there is something called Hunter Mode use that to Remove Norton. Then download a fresh copy of your Network card driver from manufactures website. Then go to Device Manager and remove your Network Card driver completely then reboot and install the Network driver that might do the trick.

Hope this helps,
Captain

It sounds still a little like you may have some bad drivers or other corrupted files relating to your wireless card.
Do you have the option to connect the computer using the Wired LAN connection directly to your router. If so please use it and open device manager, expand network adapaters and for the time being, disable the wireless by selecting and then right clicking and choosing disable.
Also click the start orb, choose all programs, accessories, right click command prompt, choose run as administrator and type sfc /scannow and see what the system file checker finds.
Finally, try rebooting the computer into safemode with networking and run both Spybot Search and Destroy as well as malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM), make sure you choose to update both before running them and with MBAM choose to do a full scan, generally both these programs perform better and get better results when done using safemode anyway. Of course it all depends on whether or not you can use the wired connection successfully.
Keep us posted.

Interestingly enough, connecting via lan with the wireless disabled gets me the same results.
the scannow results were "no integrity violations."

I rebooted in safe mode and ran malware with the same results -- no problems.
I tried a few different spywares but they all required updating right off the bat and because it couldn't connect to the updaters, they wouldn't install.
Malwarebytes wanted to update and couldn't as well, but didn't require it for the install.

I also checked and the printer works fine when wired. it's the wireless feature that doesn't.
I have a desk top that has no issues and it won't print wirelessly either.... maybe i didn't set it all up right, but i'm pretty sure i did.
(the printer wireless works through the wireless router).

Does this sound like a router issue??? maybe it's not compatible with this new laptop and printer??? that doesn't make sense.

i believe it's solved!

Hello !!

The Host file seems to be OK. Looks like there are lot of Norton entries still hanging in your Computer that could be more likely the issue. Run the Norton Removal Tool Link Removed - Invalid URL and see if that remove successfully if not the use Revo Uninstaller Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems free edition then there is something called Hunter Mode use that to Remove Norton. Then download a fresh copy of your Network card driver from manufactures website. Then go to Device Manager and remove your Network Card driver completely then reboot and install the Network driver that might do the trick.

Hope this helps,
Captain

I downloaded the norton removal program onto another computer and uploaded it here, ran it, and the programs that were not updating are all now doing so, and the pages thta weren't opening are.

It is still not printing however, and I'm not sure if that is a separate issue, maybe for another forum...
it is saying the printer is offline.

that being said, I'm beyond happy that this seems to be working good as it should!
thanks for your help with all of this so far!!

sorry for the new posts, but i'm given the option to edit...

anyway, everything seems to be good finally.
What I did:

used norton remover to, uh, remove norton.
this seemed to free up our internet but the wireless printer was not only not working, but not online.
removed spybot
(had previously removed malwarebyte)
removed the printer software
reinstalled printer software.

everything is good.

i think the problems were norton and spybot

thanks for all the help and effort. i wish i could give back but it will take a while before i have anything other than questions. :)

Back