Windows 7 Win 7 won't open programs after computer is left on for more than 24hrs

joecondrey

I just recently bought an HP Pavilion p6730f BV533AA#ABA Desktop PC - Intel Core i3-550 3.2GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1.5TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Right out of the box it started acting a little touchy. I bought to get a project done for a client, so immediately I installed Adobe premiere cs5 along with a slew of other programs I use day to day. Within the first two days I noticed it would sometimes fail to open new programs after it had been left on for about a day. For example: lets say I go to open firefox, so I click on the firefox icon pinned to my taskbar. It glows, as if it is loading then fades. As if the computer forgot what my request was. I try clicking a few more times; same thing. So I go to the shortcut in my start menu, click it: same thing. the little circle appears next to my cursor for a moment, then the request is gone. Tried hotkeys; (windows button plus number position on taskbar) still nothing. I then try every program on the taskbar, each with the same results. (and giving proper time for the computer to think) Even simple programs like text editor will not open. To top it off, the shutdown process wont even initiate! At which point I have to hard-crash out to restart. After a fresh restart it works fine for a few days or so till this happens. I have searched all over for an answer. Has anyone experienced or heard of this before?? Thanks in advance!

This is an ideal time to go back to where you bought the PC, set it on their counter (or their service site for on-line purchases) and make them figure out what is going on. I'm sure they will want to reimage your HD to start. I'm not sure how much customization you have done, or how many additional apps you have installed, but a PC working improperly right out of the box is their responsibility. Take it back and get it right!

Tiger Direct is very reputable (I assume this is where you got it), and they should be very responsive to your needs.

I agree with Ted about making the computer right.

But in the meantime, I suppose you did not have time to see if the system behaved in the manner described prior to loading your apps? Have you done all available updates to those?

Are you seeing any error or warning messages in the Event Viewer?

Does you computer sleep or go into hibernation during this 24 hours on, or do you really mean the system is up and running the entire time?

Can you log off then back on and get any relief?

In Task Manager, do the programs show as already running but not showing a window?

Back
Top Bottom