Windows 8 Win 8.1 isn't an update but an OS Replacement

badrobot

The system is totally different.
The download takes longer because you are basically downloading an OS installer that will overwrite the existing installation.
A lot of programs are either are not running properly or have been removed from the previous Win 8 installation.
Avast was gone.
Logitech drivers screwed up.
Video drivers screwed up.
The imaging utility under Control Panel called "Windows 7 File Recovery" is gone and now under "File History".
I'm sure there's a lot more.
Nothing has changed. Still not liking it.
Make sure to make a system image backup before installing the replacement OS.

Last edited:
Still liking it. Is mostly just 8 with minor ui enhancements.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Avast has not updated the AV app to work with Win 8.1. My AVG AV 2013 works quite well.

Logitech products seem to work well without Logitech Setpoint App.

My video drivers work well. I suspect these are intermittent on which will work or not work.

There is already a working avast for 8.1

I need the logitech setpoint for all the buttons in my mouse to work.

The video works but the resolution sucks.

Which Logitech mouse do you have?

Logitech MediaPlay Cordless Mouse. I like the fact the I can control the volume, flip between webpages (backward and forward), zoom in and out, play my music, etc. on it. With the built-in driver in Win 8, It's just a regular mouse with left,right click and scroll functionality.

13344.jpg

Thanks bass. I did that already but there's a lot more so I just thought of another solution... Go back to 8.

1382285528279.jpg

I have 2 years anyway. I hope MS will improve more on this 8.1 crap or get the 9 done soon (if it's any better).

I have no problems running Win 8.1. I have problems running the stuff I already have (both hardware and software). The transition was smooth though.

Last edited:
I hear yah...kinda like the driver fiasco MS had with Vista.

windows 8.1 is what Microsoft intended to make windows 8.
windows 8.1 is very different from windows 8.
You can easily say it is a replacement and not and update. afterall whole OS was downloaded for this so called update.

they are trying to integrate desktop and tablet OS into one along with cloud based account. this has been difficult for microsoft to do because it took a whole year after Windows 8 release to get to what they actually wanted to do. still they haven't created a perfect OS.

This is the first screw up I noticed when I first boot up to Win 8.1:

Win 8.1 screenshot:

win8.1reso.jpg

Win 8 Screenshot:

win8reso.jpg

Both resolution on above photos show 1920x1080 but everything on Win 8.1 is so BIG!!!!! I've tried everything to fix it. Updated to the latest AMD drivers and change config on Catalyst Center and it remains BIG!!! It's like it converted my desktop PC to a stupid tablet.

This is the first time I will say that I LIKE Win 8, after that Win 8.1 screw up.

Cheers!

Badrobot you need to reset the dpi settings in you windows 8.1 or if not reset them lower them.

There been some talk on the net about the DPI settings being larger than normal for some after they've upgraded to 8.1....and like nmusk stated...it's just a matter of reset the DPI.

I've tried that but it only changed the Taskbar size. The desktop icons are still big. I will have a look at the Win 8 installation's display driver and check with OEM website if I can download the original display driver to replace the one Win 8.1 installed.

I've also got positive responses from the manufacturer's I got in contact with about Win 8.1 drivers. So, I may get back to Win 8.1 once I fixed the display issue.

This may sound overly simple but have you tried right clicking the desktop and from the context menu selecting view-> small icons?
The taskbar properties also has a mechanism to choose small icons.

This may sound overly simple but have you tried right clicking the desktop and from the context menu selecting view-> small icons?
The taskbar properties also has a mechanism to choose small icons.

Yeah, I've been through all the simple fix too. Still the same. I know it sounds so simple. But I am really stumped. I will check the OEM website later for display drivers. I just updated my drivers via AMD site. I may have to get the version the PC originally came with.

Back
Top Bottom