Windows 8 Win 8.1 iso to dvd

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello I am running Win 8.1 x 64
After downloading the iso file for Win 8.1, what can I expect to see?
It is downloading and will be done in 2 hours
Can I just burn it to dvd which I want or will I have to go through installation steps?
The reason I ask is because I have a product key for 8 but not 8.1.
I read it can be done with a Win 8 prod key but also read that an 8.1 key is needed.
Thank you
Peter

Yes..burn it to a dvd.

read it can be done with a Win 8 prod key but also read that an 8.1 key is needed

That's a yes and no answer. Technically you need a 8.1 key to clean install.

RE : I have a product key for 8 but not 8.1. I read it can be done with a Win 8 prod key but also read that an 8.1 key is needed.
Win 8 users are entitled to have FREE upgrade to Win 8.1 by going to Windows Store.

RE : After downloading the iso file for Win 8.1, what can I expect to see?
That will not do you any good UNLESS you have a valid 8.1 product key.
You can burn the Win 8.1 ISO file to DVD, but that will be as far as you can go until you have a valid 8.1 product key.

I understand and thank you.
Is there a way to obtain a Win 8.1 product key?

Not JUST the product key.
Microsoft does not sell product key separately without the dvd software.
*** if you go online and find someone selling product key alone, DON'T. It is 99.999999% counterfeit or reused.****
You could go to Microsoft website and purchase Win 8.1 online.
Or, you could go to retail store and buy a Win 8.1 retail box version which comes with a dvd and a product key.
Retail stores will have Win 8.1 or Win 8.1 Pro to choose from. The latter is more expensive.

Yes, your effort of downloading 8.1 iso is all for naught.

Last edited:
I am running 8.1 so will not need to buy it. I was trying to develop a disc to save time.

You have several options.....
1. Create a Repair disk.
2. Create Recovery disks or usb flash.
3. Use an external hard drive and regularly create System Image Backup. I do that once a week. It is used when system goes down.

If you don't know how or where to access those options, please post back.

I too image but have not done a recovery or repair before.

Repair disk :
After you have done a system image backup, you should also see the option to create a Repair disk. Do so.

Recovery Drive :
Go to Charm bar (win logo +C) > Start > type recovery > click Recovery > select Create a Recovery Drive

I think you are referring to a system image backup by Windows found in the file recovery section? And there is a repair disc there?
I use Macrium. Can I still create the repair disc?

I understand the recovery drive option but would it work if I have not created an image with Windows?

Refresh and reset being broken,prompted me to explore options, but as an average user it is quite difficult.

When I upgraded to 8.1 on one of my systems, I did a clean install by booting the 8.1 Install DVD and removing the existing partitions for Windows 8. To install, I needed to use the general license key for 8.1 that became available with the release of the RTM and activated using the Windows 8 key. I have not done this in a while, but the key was available in several locations online, unless that has been changed and those keys no longer work.

If you are actually downloading the .iso of windows 8.1 and not just a store download/install, you can burn it to a DVD. If nothing else, you can use it for Refresh or the way I did, if that option is still available.

I think you are referring to a system image backup by Windows found in the file recovery section? And there is a repair disc there?
I use Macrium. Can I still create the repair disc?

I understand the recovery drive option but would it work if I have not created an image with Windows?

Refresh and reset being broken,prompted me to explore options, but as an average user it is quite difficult.

1. Yes I was referring to Win 8.1 own system image backup via File History. And yes, Option to create Repair disk is there.
2. I do not use Macrium.
3. You need to do the image backup first before you get the option to create Repair disk.
4. Recovery drive and System Image backup are independent to each other.

Sorry to have taken up time-there are so many variables.
I have images anyway on 2 external drives. I guess I will just keep the disc in case it is needed.
Like I said, refresh and reset being broken prompted me to try to make a disc to more quickly recover 8.1 if there was a problem.
Thank you

1. Yes I was referring to Win 8.1 own system image backup via File History. And yes, Option to create Repair disk is there.
2. I do not use Macrium.
3. You need to do the image backup first before you get the option to create Repair disk.
2. I do not use Macrium.
>>I did type in recovery and there are alot of options one being refresh which is broken. You would think MS would alter options if where they direct you does not work!

..........I did type in recovery and there are alot of options..............
what lot of options?
There are only 2 to choose from....( I have win 8.1 Pro )
Image 5.png

I have Win 8.1 Pro and these appear when I type recovery.

I have run sfc and when it finds corruption I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth .

Attachments

• recovery.png
    recovery.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 330
Back