Windows 8 Win 8 compatibility mode

Brainfarth

I have a program that used to run on win 7, but 8 wont let me open the file. I've tried the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter with no luck. After I select an O.S., it asks me to test the program. I click the option and it does nothing. So, I'm not sure which way to go from here.
Thanks for any info.

You are not giving much info about the situation. Was the program Windows 7 certified, or just able to run in that environment? How old is the program?

What is asking you to test the program, Windows 8 Compatibility Troubleshooter or the program itself? Have you set it to run as Administrator and Windows 7 or other OS compatibility? How are you trying to start or install the program. Is the program installed yet, because the installer can be run in compatibility mode also?

You might check the Event Viewer to see if any error messages are being generated when you try to open it. Also keep an eye open for a window the might be opening in the background, or a flashing icon on the Task Bar.

You also might check the Task Manager and make sure a prior instance of the program is not already running.

I dont know what versions the program is certified for since I cant open it. I'm sure the program is at least 4 years old.
The program does not attempt to open (background screens/task bar). And I have tried it with administrative / win 7, xp3, xp2, xp1 and even win 8. Speaking of 8, when I try to open the file, windows 8 will display a message "this app cant run on your pc". And when it hit the "Test the program..." button on the windows 8 compatibility troubleshooter, it doesn't do a thing.. One would think it would.
And going through the event logs, I do see that it is logging a file "The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\aixv25a.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

snip... cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

Sounds like it was built on a 32bit installer… your best bet is to use a virtual environment like vmware workstation to install windows 7 32bit.

I would suggest we are needing some clarification. " I have a program": " 8 wont let me open the file": "After I select an O.S., it asks me to test the program" (?)
As saltgrass states, we need a little more info, otherwise any help is pure guesswork. Ar you tring to install a program, or run something you have copied over, or...?

I have seen the message of can't open the program under this OS but, that's all I have ever seen. At that point I gave up trying.

I have seen the message of can't open the program under this OS but, that's all I have ever seen. At that point I gave up trying.

I have a program that used to run on win 7, but 8 wont let me open the file. I've tried the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter with no luck. After I select an O.S., it asks me to test the program. I click the option and it does nothing. So, I'm not sure which way to go from here.
Thanks for any info.

I have seen the message that a program would not run under this OS but, that's all I have ever seen. At that point I gave up.

And going through the event logs, I do see that it is logging a file "The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\aixv25a.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."
I would have to agree with ussnorway in that x64 Windows will not run some of the lower bit versions of programs. Do you have a 32 bit version of windows 8 to run it on?

I figured out how to install windows xp virtual machine on win 8 last night. Whan a pain since its a win 7 feature. Although, I have never used it before, I can't figure out how to click in anything within the screen. Either my mouse pointer is not present, or it puts me into a screen snapshot mode. A any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

Back