Windows 10 win-8 disk that has login protection

mark edwards

hello all - FIRST TIME POSTING QUESTION

we have a win-8 drive that is being pulled out of a dell box that had a win login& password established.

if i were to install this drive into a win-10 box as a secondary drive (drive-D or drive-E perhaps with a usb internal-2-external housing), will that username&password from the old win-8 be an issue?

or will the win-10 box see that win-8 drive and all the files, nothing password protected (hopefully?)

i seem to recall with win-98 or xp that there were password-protected folders that caused issues, but i dont know about the operating system itself.

note: the user cannot remember her win-8 username/password and i am giving up trying to boot in a recovery usb and having missing Utilman.exe files; when i buy get a new(er) dell with win-10 home version already installed cheap enough from newegg for less than the cost of the win-10 license. (i cannot keep throwing time into a 10 year old computer...)

If there is no drive encryption or EFS protected folders, then yes the data will be visible and accessible.

Back