Windows 11 BSOD when installing

ddharper

Extraordinary Member
I have a 2 year old computer that is running Windows 10. I made a new partition to dual boot Windows 11 about a year ago, installed Win11, tried it for a few days, and removed it because it was extremely slow. I figured I would give it another try a few weeks ago. It would install, and put check boxes in the list, then it would reboot. But in the process of booting, it would crash to a BSOD. I rebooted many times and the error was different most of the time. The one I recall was 'ntoskrnl.exe'.
I was thinking the first install of Win 11over as to why it was originally slow, was because it was on partition on a hard drive vs my Win 10 on a NVMe card. I put a new NVMe card in the second slot on my motherboard, and figured I would try a Win 11 install again. Same thing. It installs fine, then BSOD after the first boot.
The Microsoft Windows 11 computer compatibility checker says my computer is ready for Windows 11.
The only thing I can find on the internet is others are having fresh install of Win 11 crash after it boots, but I can't even get that far.
What needs to be done to get Win 11 to finish installing? I have tried USB and DVD install. I tried dual booting Win 10, which worked, but when upgrading it to Win 11, it would crash after the first reboot. And why the heck did it install fine a year ago on the same hardware?

Asus x570 Pro WiFi
AMD 5900 (X?)
Crucial 32g RAM (2X16) underclocked @2333

It seems like you're encountering BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors when attempting to install Windows 11 on your computer. This can be a frustrating experience, but there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Update drivers: Ensure that all your device drivers, including graphics, chipset, and network drivers, are up to date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause installation issues. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2. Disconnect unnecessary devices: Disconnect any external devices that are not essential for the installation process, such as printers, scanners, or USB drives. Sometimes, conflicts with these devices can cause installation problems.

3. Disable secure boot: If your computer has secure boot enabled in the BIOS, try disabling it temporarily and then attempt the Windows 11 installation again. Some users have reported that this resolved their installation issues.

4. Check system requirements: While the Microsoft Windows 11 computer compatibility checker may indicate that your computer is compatible, it's worth double-checking the system requirements. Ensure that your hardware meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11, including CPU, RAM, storage, and TPM (Trusted Platform Module) version.

5. Perform a clean installation: Instead of upgrading from a previous version of Windows, consider performing a clean installation of Windows 11. This involves formatting the existing partition and installing a fresh copy of the operating system. However, keep in mind that this will erase all data on the partition, so make sure to back up any important files before proceeding.

6. Test hardware stability: Since you mentioned your previous installation of Windows 11 was slow, it's possible that there could be underlying hardware issues. You can run diagnostic tools to check the stability of components like your CPU and RAM. Tools like MemTest86 can help determine if there are any issues with your RAM.

If you have exhausted these troubleshooting steps without success, it may be worth reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your system configuration and the specific error messages you are encountering.

It seems like you're encountering BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors when attempting to install Windows 11 on your computer. This can be a frustrating experience, but there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Update drivers: Ensure that all your device drivers, including graphics, chipset, and network drivers, are up to date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause installation issues. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2. Disconnect unnecessary devices: Disconnect any external devices that are not essential for the installation process, such as printers, scanners, or USB drives. Sometimes, conflicts with these devices can cause installation problems.

3. Disable secure boot: If your computer has secure boot enabled in the BIOS, try disabling it temporarily and then attempt the Windows 11 installation again. Some users have reported that this resolved their installation issues.

4. Check system requirements: While the Microsoft Windows 11 computer compatibility checker may indicate that your computer is compatible, it's worth double-checking the system requirements. Ensure that your hardware meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11, including CPU, RAM, storage, and TPM (Trusted Platform Module) version.

5. Perform a clean installation: Instead of upgrading from a previous version of Windows, consider performing a clean installation of Windows 11. This involves formatting the existing partition and installing a fresh copy of the operating system. However, keep in mind that this will erase all data on the partition, so make sure to back up any important files before proceeding.

6. Test hardware stability: Since you mentioned your previous installation of Windows 11 was slow, it's possible that there could be underlying hardware issues. You can run diagnostic tools to check the stability of components like your CPU and RAM. Tools like MemTest86 can help determine if there are any issues with your RAM.

If you have exhausted these troubleshooting steps without success, it may be worth reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your system configuration and the specific error messages you are encountering.
1 - How do I install drivers before the OS is installed?
2 - Have done that.
3 - Have done that.
4 - Have done that, and it meets them all.
5 - That is what I am trying to do.
6 - The system is rock solid stable running Windows 10 for 2 years.

1 - How do I install drivers before the OS is installed?
2 - Have done that.
3 - Have done that.
4 - Have done that, and it meets them all.
5 - That is what I am trying to do.
6 - The system is rock solid stable running Windows 10 for 2 years.
I apologize for the confusion. If you are unable to install drivers before the operating system is installed, you can skip that step as it typically applies to when you are installing drivers within the operating system.

Since you have already tried updating drivers, disabling secure boot, ensuring your system meets the requirements, and performing a clean installation, it's puzzling why you are still experiencing BSOD errors during the Windows 11 installation process.

In this scenario, there are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check for BIOS updates: Visit the manufacturer's website for your motherboard and check if there are any BIOS updates available. Updating your BIOS can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve system stability.

2. Check your storage device: Ensure that your NVMe card is functioning properly. You can try connecting it to a different slot on your motherboard or even try a different storage device altogether if available. Faulty storage devices can sometimes cause installation issues.

3. Test your RAM: Although your system has been stable running Windows 10, it's still worth testing your RAM to rule out any potential issues. You can use a tool like MemTest86 to thoroughly test your RAM for errors.

4. Contact Microsoft Support: If you have exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps and are still unable to install Windows 11, it might be best to reach out to Microsoft Support directly. They can provide further assistance and guidance based on your specific situation and hardware configuration.

I understand that this is a frustrating issue, and I hope that one of these steps helps you to resolve the problem and successfully install Windows 11 on your computer.

For # 1 you would have to inject the drivers into the .WIM or .ESD file within the ISO file. This can be done from any Windows install with the dism command

Back
Top Bottom