Windows 10 win10 is requiring network pw to access win 7 files

rogerdc

mac, win 10 pc and win 7 pc are networked (home network - WORKGROUP). whenever i try to access the win 7 files from win 10, it ask for a network credentials pw. the mac, win 10, and win 7 computers all have the same login pw. other than that i have never assigned any other pw to either of these pc's. i can access the win 10 files from the win 7 pc with no pw required - but not visa versa.

on win 10 pc - file and printer sharing and network discovery are both enabled. on the win 7 pc the following are enabled (or turned on):
network discovery, file and printer sharing, public folder sharing, 128 bit encription, pw protected sharing, and allow win to manage homegroup conn. at my wits end. any help app
rogerdc

• Is the wx machine a member of the same homegroup as w7?
  • Is the wx machine running on a Microsoft id i.e, needs an email address to sign in?
  • Is the wx machine on wifi/ have you turned on network "find content and devices"?
Screenshot (30).png

• Is the wx machine a member of the same homegroup as w7?
  • Is the wx machine running on a Microsoft id i.e, needs an email address to sign in?
  • Is the wx machine on wifi/ have you turned on network "find content and devices"?
View attachment 31000
thanks for reply - i was able to resolve the issue myself by turning off "password protected sharing " on both pc's.

the other issue is this: my printer is on a win 10 pc which is on a home network (WORKGROUP) with a mac and a win 7 pc. whenever i try to install a network printer on the mac, it wants a UN & PW. what PW is it looking for? the only PW's i have ever set up is a login PW (which is the same for all 3). this PW doesn't work.

i'm a little confused: which one is requiring the PW - the win 10 pc or the mac. would this pw be in my mac keychain ? i had a similar issue with the two pc's requiring a pw b4 it would allow me to share files between them and i had to turn off the pw protected sharing on both of them. is there a way to turn off pw protected sharing on the mac, so that it will allow me to install a network printer on the mac ?
desperate in TN

The network wants a pw... as windows is controlling that your Mac is an issue, & I'd assume Microsoft id 1st.

If plugging the Mac into the printer to print i.e, without going into the network is practical (printers are cheap nowdays) then do that, otherwise you will want a network printer or a print server (most good routers have this built in now days) and it boils down to how old the printer is an if the Mac has a driver for it... in both these two cases the printer now comes under the control of your network router and so bypassing Windows control of it. The down side is printers made for use with a Mac cost more $

plugging printer into mac is not an option - i have 2 pc's and a chrome book that cant "see" the printer when its attached to the mac. my router does support wi fi and i assume it would allow sharing this printer - it's the printer i'm concerned about. It's an hp officejet 415 all in one (about 6 yrs old) . my router has 4 ethernet ports and one usb (i think it's input - not sure) the end of my printer cable is usb - not ethernet. how would i go about sharing this printer through the router ?? (if it can be done at all)

back 2 U

If your router has a print server then you plug the printer USB into the USB plug on the router... without a model/ make its hard to say but for eg,
Screenshot (214).png

i think it's a combination modem/router (provided by my ISP) netgear model: B90-755044-15. as mentioned earlier, it does have a usb port but i'm not sure if this is for printer sharing. i plugged the printer into this usb port but could not make the mac or the pc's print. i am back to my orig config. with the printer on the win 10 pc. i should be able to download a manual for this router - perhaps some help there. again, tks for replies.

netgear model: B90-755044-15
I believe Frontier released a firmware upgrade for the 7550 (Model Name: B90-755044-15) on 28-Oct-2013.
Confirm the software version is VER :06.05.02 then it should support port forwording i.e, a printer.

Back
Top Bottom