Windows 7 win7 setup can see raid volume, cant install on it?

mediv42

Hi!

I am having trouble installing windows 7 (home premium) on my new raid array (2x intel 330 120GB SSD in RAID0)

Basically, windows CAN see the raid volume. it recognies that there is a single 223 GB volume available. I select "Load Driver" for the volume, and plug in my trusty USB with the appropriate intel SATA RAID drivers. Win7 recognizes that there is a compatible driver on the USB, installs it, but still says:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

The format and create new partition options are grayed out for this volume.

So what did I do to get here?

Using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology tool, I combined the two drives into a raid0 volume. This is confirmed because when I restart, the raid volume shows up in the RST echo with the right size, and also indicates that the volume is bootable. It is also confirmed because the windows 7 setup only sees one 223GB disk.

I have confirmed that in the BIOS, the SATA controller is set to RAID mode (not AHCI).

I have confirmed that in the BIOS, the first boot option is "RAID intel SSD"
Ive tried the RAID drivers that came with the motherboard, Ive also tried the raid drivers available from intel and the latest raid drivers available from the motherboard MFR.

What else can I do?
Thanks in advance for any help.

ASROCK extreme 6
Intel Core i7-3770k
16 GB RAM
2x intel 330 120GB SSD
NVIDIA GTX 680

Raid is created:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
SATA mode: RAID (note nothing plugged into ASMEDIA SATA 3 ports, I tried with them enabled or disabled)
Raid is visible as a boot device:
Created RAID Driver disk:
Windows needs a driver for RAID volume:
Windows sees my driver:
Windows still cant install on raid volume....
I also tried to create a new partition on the unallocated space but I get the error message: Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space.

Last edited:
Back