Windows 7 Win7 SP1 - No IP4

ehw

The computer is a year old, it’s running Win7 SP1 64bit and the connection to the internet has always worked until now. For the last few days I’ve been unable to connect. On going into change adaptor settings I find that the properties tab for Internet Protocol Version 4 is greyed out. IP6 appears to be available but it tells me that I need to install a network adaptor. To the best of my knowledge I have never used IP6. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the network adaptor, I’ve disabled and re-enabled it. I’ve run cmd.exe as an administrator and I’ve tried:-
netsh interface ipv4 install
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /flushdns
None of these have enabled IP4, it’s properties are still greyed out and I’m at a loss to know what to try next. Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated.

The computer is a year old, it’s running Win7 SP1 64bit and the connection to the internet has always worked until now. For the last few days I’ve been unable to connect. On going into change adaptor settings I find that the properties tab for Internet Protocol Version 4 is greyed out. IP6 appears to be available but it tells me that I need to install a network adaptor. To the best of my knowledge I have never used IP6. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the network adaptor, I’ve disabled and re-enabled it. I’ve run cmd.exe as an administrator and I’ve tried:-
netsh interface ipv4 install
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /flushdns
None of these have enabled IP4, it’s properties are still greyed out and I’m at a loss to know what to try next. Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated.

I notice that this is very similar to "IP Protocol 'disappeared'" posted a few days ago. No remedial ideas were posted so I'll wait and see if I have any better luck.

Since IPv4 is part of the basic Windows install, it is hard to understand why it might be missing and not re-installable. If you are the second such situtation, maybe some virus is going around that is causing a problem.

For now, though, maybe open the admin command prompt back and run SFC /scannow to check your system for the basic core files. If one is missing or damaged, hopefully it will be replaced. If you get a response like some files cannot be restored, let us know.

BRILLIANT!! - It took less than 5 minutes to solve the problem

This worked for me too. I kept getting Limited Connectivity messages and finally realized IPV4 was greyed out. I had tried to install Windows 7 SP 1 but it must not have gone correctly bc afterwards I started getting the messages, etc. I tried to restore to right before install SP1 but somewhere along the line, something went to heck.

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom