Windows 7 Win7 System Repair USB

BlackMailedAgai

Extraordinary Member
I have read several articles, but I seem to be lost. I just purchased a refurbished Dell with Windows 7 Sp1 and wanted to create a system repair USB. I followed several how-tos and downloaded the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. I did not receive disks with my purchase and I have windows 7 pro. I have had the computer 2 days, so I don't know all its in and outs yet.

Would someone please offer me a gentle walk through on the procedure? I thought I had a better grasp on how to do this than I do. I have not been able to find an ISO image as suggested by the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool...what I have is a Factory.wim at 7+gigs. Sorry for being ignorant about this. I'm just trying to learn. Thanks.

Edit:
Contacted Dell, they responded quickly and I now have a USB rescue/repair. Thanks for all those who offered help.

Last edited:
Hi,
if you can get a copy of Windows 7 SP1 then future trouble shooting will be far easier.

If you know the activation key and depending on what type of licence you have then you can access the official Windows 7 iso's here:
Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

I have a sneaking suspicion however that your copy of Windows is probably OEM (basically this means the licence is tied to the machine/motherboard and is non transferable)

This site will point you in the right direction in regards to getting a Windows 7 iso (I do not condone the use of pirate material and neither does this website but if it's simply for troubleshooting use then why not?):
Every Way to Download Windows 7 ISOs, Legally and for Free | PCsteps.com

Once you have your copy of Windows 7 SP1 post back and we'll guide you through a system repair..

Hi,
if you can get a copy of Windows 7 SP1 then future trouble shooting will be far easier.

If you know the activation key and depending on what type of licence you have then you can access the official Windows 7 iso's here:
Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

I have a sneaking suspicion however that your copy of Windows is probably OEM (basically this means the licence is tied to the machine/motherboard and is non transferable)

This site will point you in the right direction in regards to getting a Windows 7 iso (I do not condone the use of pirate material and neither does this website but if it's simply for troubleshooting use then why not?):
Every Way to Download Windows 7 ISOs, Legally and for Free | PCsteps.com

Once you have your copy of Windows 7 SP1 post back and we'll guide you through a system repair..

Thanks for the response kemical. Yes, it is apparently an OEM, and I emailed Dell asking for help regarding this. I seem to get lost in the basic instructions that likely seem obvious to many. Still reading articles and waiting for a Dell response..

Dell may well ask for a charge for install disks (if they have any) but see what they say. It would certainly prove useful if they could supply the disk without too much cost.

Back