Windows 7 Win7 Won't Boot

JustKia

My hubby's PC is running Win7 32 bit.
Typically he "hibernates" his PC rather than shutting it down.
Yesterday he hibernated the PC as usual and then proceeded to remove the power cable while he was re-routing various cables.
He has his hard drives mounted in front loading bays (no need to open PC to remove the drives). The fan in one of these bays was failing and so he decided to move his system drive (while the PC was completely un plugged) to a different bay. When he powered on he got the message that there was no valid boot device.
He powered off and put the hdd back into the original hdd bay and Win7 still will not boot.
I've tried running the startup repair - which Win7 goes directly too and also running a repair your PC from the actual Win7 install disc.

I have re-started it this morning and first got a black screen with "Starting Windows" but missing the coloured logo. Then after a few minutes "Windows is loading files" with a grey progress bar. Next a blue sky type screen and a dialog box titled "Startup Repair". The dialog box also says "Your computer was unable to start". There is a constantly moving progress bar above a line of text "Searching for problems..."
This dialog has run close to a dozen times since the problem first occurred yesterday.
It takes a very long time to complete and when it does returns the answer that Startup repair was unable to fix the error which is reported as being "startuprepairoffline".

The PC will not boot at all not even to safe mode.
Of course he has not created any restore points, so that's not an option.
My PC also runs Win7 32bit - are there any "fix it" discs I can create to help using my PC?

What are the next steps I can/should take?
If at all possible I'd love to surprise hubby when he gets in from work with a fixed PC.

You could burn a Recovery CD, but the Install DVD does just about the same thing.

What I suppose concerns me is the fact the hard drive was moved. If he has more than one, possibly it was set to something other than the primary drive and another drive was put in its place. If that drive has an active partition, Windows will look at it.

So, check the bios and make sure that drive is the first hard drive listed. It probably will be listed in the boot priority with that drive showing as the hard drive option, but depending on your bios, you may have to set it in another area.

If you have an F key option to select a boot device (not F8, but F12 or something similar) , you could try that first.

The fact it was unpowered from a state of hibernation, may have caused the system to be put in a random state. If you do get to the "Searching for Problems" progress bar, you can hit Shift + F10 and get a command prompt. If that is the case, perhaps something could be done from there. Try starting Taskmgr.exe to see if it works.

Back