Windows 10 Windows 10 Aniversary Update

Hello i have question

Microsoft said that the new update to windows 10 aka Windows 10 Anniversary update will be a free update, if i were to go out and purchase a new computer with the latest version of windows 10 installed build # 10586.218 would i still receive the Windows 10 Anniversary update come July or when ever it gets released?

Hello i have question

Microsoft said that the new update to windows 10 aka Windows 10 Anniversary update will be a free update, if i were to go out and purchase a new computer with the latest version of windows 10 installed build # 10586.218 would i still receive the Windows 10 Anniversary update come July or when ever it gets released?

Simply yes you would.

And if you do purchase a computer with W10 factory installed, you won't get charged to continue running W10 after the Anniversary date (July 29th). All the Win7x & Win8x folks who took advantage of the free 1 year period update will have to cough up $119 or $199 for Home or Pro on Credit Card to continue running W10.:)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
And if you do purchase a computer with W10 factory installed, you won't get charged to continue running W10 after the Anniversary date (July 29th). All the Win7x & Win8x folks who took advantage of the free 1 year period update will have to cough up $119 or $199 for Home or Pro on Credit Card to continue running W10.:)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Hi friend are you sure about what you just posted? We will have to purchase W10? Not my understanding! That doesn't seem right!

Hi Gary,
Pretty sure! 99% anyway; Microsoft could always change their mind, but their Goal is to produce like 3 billion in worldwide revenue stream from these paid W10 license conversions. I don't think they are going to give that up easily.:cash:

Here's a solid link to a PC World article from last year about it just prior to the July 29th RTM release date:
Microsoft will charge for Windows 10 upgrades after one-year freebie offer lapses

There's also a video from Joe Belfiore, VP Microsoft of the Win10 team that covers this. Can't seem to find it in my link library. There were also E-mails send out to Win10 Insiders from Gabe Abul on this subject as well. I'll keep looking and if I can locate one of these, I'll post it. It's pretty common knowledge. We might also get some of our forum Staff to comment on this subject as well.

The exception to this is that if you are one of the 5 million or so W10 Insider Testers, you can continue using W10 after that date, but you will not have a permanent RTM license such as what comes in a retail box license with Media (like you'd buy in a store like Best Buy or Staples). The price of being able to run your W10 after July 29th without paying for it is to remain running on Tech Preview versions of W10 and not the RTM being sold in retail stores & online. This allows Microsoft to continue gather debugging information from the large Tester community even after the RTM product is released into the retail Channel. Supposedly, W10 Testers were supposed to get 1 free Lifetime W10 license good for 1 PC only as thanks from Microsoft for participating in the Beta testing project. However, that's been turned on and off again several times since 2014, and I'm still waiting for mine! :rolleyes:

BBJ :zoned:

All the Win7x & Win8x folks who took advantage of the free 1 year period update will have to cough up $119 or $199 for Home or Pro on Credit Card to continue running W10.:)
Surely you mean all the folks who didn't take advantage of the free 1 year period:(

If you took advantage of the free upgrade then you won't be charged anything. What will probably change, as well as the end of free upgrades to Windows 10, is free upgrades like the coming 'Anniversary update' will no longer be free.
Microsoft said this in a blog released today:

And, today, we want to remind you that if you haven’t taken advantage of the free upgrade offer, now is the time. The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out. After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.
Ref: Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon

Back