Windows 10 Windows 10 backups, the UTC timestamp issue

FindlayCK

So, I was using Win 10 backup for a year or two, or three diligently on my craptop, craptop blew up and is more expensive to fix than replace.

Started using brand new desktop and all my backups have UTC timestamps, from the now defunct laptop and any new ones made from the desktop. I see no way to import anything from the laptop to remove these timestamps which from what I've read is the only way to do it baring manually dragging, dropping and renaming every file individually.

Please tell me this is not the case, in this day and age...

Many aspects, components and utilities of Microsoft use UTC, it's a way to keep things... universal. What exact is the issue? That the file will have a UTC time vs your timezone?

More that all of the files with no exceptions are not recognised by their respective programs by having filenames interfered with.

The file association is determined by explorer.exe which looks at the trailing .XXX part of the file. If there is no registered program associated with an extension then no Windows would not know how to open said file. That issue would be on the OS side and not the file itself unless the files were being restored with no extensions.

There seems to be come confusion here, as I stated in the first post, they cannot be restored, there is no way visible way to restore from the broken laptop backups, they simply dont exists as far as Windows 10 on the desktop is concerned, hence the problem.

To clarify, I'm not referring to file extensions, for arguments sake, say program x wants to access a specific file to function, e.g. a file named "12345.file", its not "12345 (buch of timezone junk making the files unusable by its program).file" and is not recognised.

Back