Windows 10 Windows 10 Creators Update BSOD on cold boot.

Bassie

Extraordinary Member
This thread follows on from post #159 in the thread found found here:
Windows 10 Creators Update

Well, tried again ,no luck still this BSOD,only after cold reboot( wait for about 30minutes,PC off) ,then BSOD with message; Driver IRQL not LESS OR EQUAL. Then PC reboots into Windows.
I have some files , maybe you can find solution.
I did everything , just see my previous posts, it just does not matter, I keep getting this BSOD with message. !!
Help,please, tried all...........

Attachments

• SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip
    229.4 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately no dump file is included with the zip. Where did you get the files from? Sysnative?

Try running the application found here in this sticky, remember to right click and run as admin:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

As you did with the other files zip the contents and post.

If no dump files are present then this can be attributed to one of three things:

Incorrect dump file creation settings:
If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Pagefile is disabled
If the pagefile is missing then then again this will interrupt dump file creation.
How to Enable Page File In Windows | Techwalla.com

HDD issues
If the C drive has any problems this can affect dump file creation. Run a chkdsk /r command in an admin command prompt.

I went back ( again!) to good working 1607 .
I have tried this so many times , and now even with ALL devices ( HDDs,printer,webcam,etc. ) pulled out of the PC, only with SSD and with MS-account , lots of services disabled ( Acronis,MBam etc.), latest drivers installed for the graphic nVidia card ,etc,etc
Made the upgrade , switched off PC for about 30 minutes, rebooted and bingo; BSOD ; Driver IRQL not LESS or EQUAL.
PC restarted after this message ,back in Win10 1703.
Im really out of any ideas, just dont know HOW to get further !!
I just have to wait untill this 1703-version will arrive in the Windows-Updates, maybe things are getting better then..........
Its still CB ( Current Branch ) and not CBB ( Current Branch Business), so it might chance into a more compatible version in a few weeks(months?) Its also not visible in Win-Updates yet.........
Have to thank some people of the forum who gave me some tips/advice , I hope this experiment will make some things much clear to them,so we can find finally the REASON OF THIS BSODs..........

I have tried this so many times , and now even with ALL devices ( HDDs,printer,webcam,etc. ) pulled out of the PC, only with SSD and with MS-account , lots of services disabled ( Acronis,MBam etc.), latest drivers installed for the graphic nVidia card ,etc,etc

Hmm... I don't understand why you are trying to upgrade?

An upgrade install could carry and issue like the one your seeing

A clean install is a far more superior installation method with a lot more chance of success.

Are you definitely sure you didn't already try this?

Kemical , I tried this upgrade several times, always resulting in BSOD with the messages I mentioned before.( Please, read all my posts !)
I tried once clean install( format C) and resulting with same BSODs with the same messages.
So, conclusion; upgrade or fresh install , they both results in BSOD !!! ( "
A clean install is a far more superior installation method with a lot more chance of success. " ...........I agree )
Tested RAM , 32GB, no failures. This PC is 2 years old, it worked fine on Win7,then made a clean install to Win10 , upgraded to 1607, all went smooth, updating also.
What can be wrong , why these BSODs after cold start ,never had these before except in this 1703-version...........
Im more and more convinced this upgrade is not (yet) ready for every machine........( just can not find other reason !!)
If you have some more ideas or experience , let me know,please, coz sooner or later this upgrade will appear in my Win-updates too......

Kemical , I tried this upgrade several times, always resulting in BSOD with the messages I mentioned before.( Please, read all my posts !)
Yes I read them but you would be amazed how many users we've had turn round and say 'oooh you meant a clean install, no sorry I'll try it now'. :D

So apologies if i pressed the point a little.. :)

You could always try the basic debugging/troubleshooting route of trying the install with one SSD attached, one stick of RAM attached as well as the usual peripheries (k'board, mouse ect).
However with the build so being so close to release it might simply be worth waiting and seeing any further updates to that build are released before trying it again.

It could definitely do with a few.

If its my system ,then why does it run/boot so fine on the 1607 ?
Upgrading/fresh installing it does not matter, they both result in BSOD with the same error; " Diver IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".... Which errors can give this message ??
Never during stand-by or with a restart , only after a while switched off.
There must be a reason, though ,to me, very difficult,coz never had these problems before.
Will now test my SSD ( Samsung) and will make a severe test of my memory (32GB).
What more can I do ............???

What more can I do ............???
Post your dump files?

If its my system ,then why does it run/boot so fine on the 1607 ?
I only suggested the troubleshooting install as an option.

Upgrading/fresh installing it does not matter, they both result in BSOD with the same error; " Diver IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".... Which errors can give this message ??

The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Cause
A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper addresses.

These driver's may appear in the call stack or other parts of the dump file which is why is so important we get to see them. Can you just run it by me again on why you can't post the dump files as it might be something simple..

Will test everything first,before trying again .
Just tested my SSD with SSDLife-Pro ; still can use it for 8 years,its 100% ok .
Burned a CD with memtest 86,will test memory ( maybe all night )
Just got KB 3150513 ( with Win-Upd.), its been installed already, but its offered again......( ??)
Do you think I should install this for second time ??
When Im sure my hardware is ok, will try again and send you all the info I can find !

Thanks Bassie and don't forget to use the app found in the sticky on how to post a bsod as this will grab everything for you. Simply right click and run as admin.

Just got KB 3150513 ( with Win-Upd.), its been installed already, but its offered again......( ??)
I was thinking that all you need to do is post the dumps.

Also what is your motherboard again? I can't seem to find the information in your downloads

Its ASUS / Z97-K with usb 3.1 , one SSD (os) and two WD HDDs (2TB ),two CD-stations,32GB RAM.

Is it fully updated bios wise?

I run a Gigabyte Z97-X chipset and have had no issues that you describe.

You either have a faulty component or an application or driver your using is corrupt.

If I already suggested this then apologies but you could try running the driver verifier? First make sure you have an install or rescure disk and if i have gone through this all befoe just ignore me.. ;)
Any resulting dump files should have the culprit on them?
Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 - My Windows Hub

" Is it fully updated bios wise? " ...............yes,it is ( latest bios )
These reports and the driver identifier , can only be done after next attempt for upgrade/install. Right ??
Im not in a hurry,to try this all over again, will wait untill its available in Windows-Updates.
Besides I wonder how often I can do this all , coz Im killing my hardware with these experiments. If I try again it must be good this time............

( tested SSD , 100% ok tested RAM ,100% ok )

Last edited:
These reports and the driver identifier , can only be done after next attempt for upgrade/install. Right ??
You can run the verifier at any time but have to agree that in your case I would wait until the update is available.

As for killing your hardware, all your really doing is adding and removing software which your system does on a daily basis so don't worry too much about damage. Damage only really occurs from hard shutdowns (can fry boot sectors and data), overheating usually from overclocking and any resulting crash and malware.
It is true I guess this will be using cycles on your SSD but testing has shown that your usual run of the mill SSD 'should' be good for many years:

it took almost a year of solid torture-test writes to get them to failure. :)
Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time

If you do come across a culprit/solution please post back and let us know..

I'm still unsure why you can't post a dump file.
When Im sure my hardware is ok, will try again and send you all the info I can find !

So I'm assuming from this that you've tried to get the dump files by running app and nothing is there? You can also find them manually by looking in the windows folder for 'minidump'. If there is any of course..

I will send you one, Im now in 1607,without any boot-problems so I guess theres not much to see in the reports coz Im not crashing with this OS.
These crashes, only with cold booting, do uccur in 1703-version.
btw; do you know why I cant do a checkdisk before reboot ??
When giving the checkdisk-command in CMD , PC reboots ,without the checkdisk,straight into Windows..........
I can do checkdisk inside Windows though,no failures (?)

Just made a reboot , after setting chanced; " pagefile managed by the system " ,it was set at ; no pagefile at all , I have 32GB RAM and it seems to be not so good for the SSD for having a pagefile.Only need it for making a crashdump ( in case of crashing)
No crash-dumps on this OS, can I send you some more info of the system,after all with an upgrade still using the same drivers ,I guess ?
Some people switch off the internet as soon as Windows has dowloaded the new OS ,and arrives at the point of " updating your drivers ". You think this is ok ?

Last edited:
When giving the checkdisk-command in CMD , PC reboots ,without the checkdisk,straight into Windows..........
I can do checkdisk inside Windows though,no failures (?)
If your not seeing any failures when running in windows I wouldn't worry.

it seems to be not so good for the SSD for having a pagefile.
A computer 'urban legend'. A pagefile is always desirable and the argument that it wastes SSD cycles simply doesn't wash.

At least we now know why there isn't any dump files.. It's obviously up to you but having a pagefile won't harm the system in any appreciable way. You'll have probably bought a different SSD long before it actually needs changing.

Im very happy with your explanation !
I always worried about pagefile yes/no ,for the life of my expensive SSD, I will keep it set on "managed by system "
In the meantime ,I have made this cmd-copy ,it will give you some more info for solving the reason of the ( cold boot !) BSODs after upgrade/new install, if you need more info let me know,please.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg