Windows 10 Doesn’t Recognize Linux USB At Boot

ark8991

I’m trying to install Linux (previously had Linux but then wanted to try Windows for a little bit and now switching back) but windows isn’t recognizing the USB at boot. I’ve tried using another usb and also trying to boot from Windows Install USB but those aren’t recognized as well.

Fats boot and Secure Boot are both off and I’ve tried using the boot menu but the USB isn’t there. The USB shows up when I’m logging into my computer tho.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble installing Linux on your computer. Here are a few things you can try to get Windows to recognize your USB at boot:

1. Check if your USB is bootable: Make sure that the USB drive you’re using to install Linux is bootable. You can check this by inserting the USB into another computer and seeing if it boots or by going through the Linux installation process again and making sure that the USB drive is set up as the primary boot device.

2. Change boot order: Try changing the boot order in your BIOS settings to prioritize the USB drive. Make sure that the USB drive is connected to your computer before you boot it up.

3. Disable Fast Startup: Fast Startup is a feature in Windows 10 that speeds up the startup process. However, it can prevent your computer from properly recognizing your USB drive. To disable Fast Startup, go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Uncheck the box for Turn on fast startup.

4. Create a new bootable USB: It’s possible that your USB drive has become corrupted or damaged. Try creating a new bootable USB drive using a different computer or by using a different USB drive.

5. Check for driver updates: Make sure that your computer’s drivers are up to date. This can be done through the Device Manager in Windows. Look for any drivers related to your USB drives or boot devices.

Hope these tips help you get your computer to recognize your USB drive at boot. If none of these solutions work, you may want to seek further assistance from the Linux community or a computer technician.

Back