Windows 10 Windows 10 error 0xC000021A

Nitemuse

Hey everyone my problems is i was trying to restore my PC to an earlier time upon restarting it ran into error 0XC000021A and said it would restart but its been doing that for 3 days i press Shift + F8 but it doesnt respond it only responds to escape and. Rings up start up menu. It wont reset to earlier time. I was able to make a usb windiws 10 installation media but the computer wont respond n i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Hi Nitemuse,
the bugcheck of 21A means a system process was terminated. Please run these scans to try and solve the problem:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If the scans don't help and the bsod continues we'll need to see your dump files. The thread below has details on what to provide and even an app to help you.
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Your post was moved to it's own thread to save on confusion

Hi Nitemuse,
the bugcheck of 21A means a system process was terminated. Please run these scans to try and solve the problem:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If the scans don't help and the bsod continues we'll need to see your dump files. The thread below has details on what to provide and even an app to help you.
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Your post was moved to it's own thread to save on confusion
When i turn on the PC it goes immediately to the blue screen that says press esc to the black screen that has the rotating dots in a circle to the blue screen that says Your pc ran into a problem we'll restart for you and back to the loop again. The mouse doesnt respond on the screen.

Last edited:
Ok, you made windows 10 installation media? (from your first post).

If you did then boot into your Bios and change the boot order so that whatever the media is on, either disk or USB, is first in the queue.
Here's a basic guide:
How to Boot Your Computer From a Disc or USB Drive

Once that's done your system will boot straight from the install media, this will allow you to enter the recovery section and safe mode. Once in safe mode you can run the first scan.
You will also be able to access system restore too.

This guide may help you get back to square one:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Ok, you made windows 10 installation media? (from your first post).

If you did then boot into your Bios and change the boot order so that whatever the media is on, either disk or USB, is first in the queue.
Here's a basic guide:
How to Boot Your Computer From a Disc or USB Drive

Once that's done your system will boot straight from the install media, this will allow you to enter the recovery section and safe mode. Once in safe mode you can run the first scan.
You will also be able to access system restore too.

This guide may help you get back to square one:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
I've run diagnostics everything passed i can reach restore menu but i dont have enought internal memory to back up n its not reading my passport. I tried shift F8 but it doesnt work. I changed the boot order to my usb but it keeps restarting n back to the blue screen. I can restore to factory but I'll loose all my files. I'm in lymbo

I decided to try to save my files to a external hard drive the problem now is even thuogh the pc identifies the external drive as a valid storage location it will not allow me to press Next to go ahead with that. The next button is not highlighted is there a way aroud it?

I decided to try to save my files to a external hard drive the problem now is even thuogh the pc identifies the external drive as a valid storage location it will not allow me to press Next to go ahead with that. The next button is not highlighted is there a way aroud it?
Hi,
apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Firstly, how is the machine running? Is it still blue screening?

Did you save the files on the external and perform a clean install?

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop PC? In either case, since you have a boot loop on your machine you could have a catastrophic hardware failure. You should remove BOTH the Hard Drive from your computer, of course with the power off and if it's a laptop with the battery removed as well as the AC charger. Then power the computer back on, if you don't hear any audio "beeps" or beep codes coming from inside the machine via an internal speaker, it's very likely your bricked your Motherboard and that's a very expensive replacement. *$175-$1500*. If it's a laptop, did you drop it recently, or a loan it to a friend or family-member that may have dropped it but didn't inform you?

You also said you ran diagnostics; but which diagnostics? Memory, Hard Drive, etc.? The ones provided by the computer manufacturer? Those are not always reliable, and most repair Techs don't use them at all. It would also be helpful to know the Make/Model of your computer so that we can tailor a more specific solution to your computer.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I've run diagnostics everything passed i can reach restore menu but i dont have enought internal memory to back up n its not reading my passport. I tried shift F8 but it doesnt work. I changed the boot order to my usb but it keeps restarting n back to the blue screen. I can restore to factory but I'll loose all my files. I'm in lymbo

So what happened between post #6 and #7? Did you restore to factory conditions or not?

If the issues continue post up a dump file if you can and I can get most of the information about your machine from that.

So what happened between post #6 and #7? Did you restore to factory conditions or not?

If the issues continue post up a dump file if you can and I can get most of the information about your machine from that.
I was going crazy, I couldnt backup , i couldnt do media installation and i couldnt get to safe mode. I tried all day yesterday and today and i took i break. End of the day I tried one last try and I dont know why but it worked n i was able to get into safe mode Eureka! One small victory but i can see a light lol mow I'm gona go back n find the pist about safe mode. Thanks so much for your help i'm not a pc wiz but felt extra stup with this I'll update on the results. Wish me luck

Sometimes when all seems at a loss it is worth taking a break and then looking again with fresh eyes as you found out. Nice job by the way and I look forward to your next post.. :)

Sometimes when all seems at a loss it is worth taking a break and then looking again with fresh eyes as you found out. Nice job by the way and I look forward to your next post.. :)
Hi,
apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Firstly, how is the machine running? Is it still blue screening?

Did you save the files on the external and perform a clean install?
well nevermind i thought i could do a safe mode but the problem remain it went right back yo the blue screen n i cant do anything.

IF i do a system recovery to factory condition can i recover everything???
Depending on how the factory recovery is set up, then you should be able to save some personal files but not apps or programs.

Screw it, Im gonna take it to my college n see if they can fix it. I wouldnt mind restoring but my passport external drive closed up on me it had happened before but a restore of my pc to earlier day made it work which is what i was trying to do again. Now the pc whuch is an all-in-one wont ket me back up begore restoring n i dont wanna loose my pics n docs i dont mind loosing the music. I guess i shouldve bought a second hard drive and backed up on that too but who can afford that? Oh well thank yoy for all your help guys.

Last edited:
Back