Windows 10 Windows 10 from windows 7 Starter

Ishan

Hi forum-goers,

(I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place, I am new here.)

I have a netbook from a fair bit ago, the HP Mini 210-1051VU and recently have been trying to get it Windows 10 ready. I've upgraded the ram to 2GB and plan to upgrade the hard drive to SSD and install a broadcom HD video decoder.

I've been using the Windows 7 Starter edition it comes with until now and was wondering if I needed to purchase a Windows 10 license if I wanted to upgrade to it once it is released. I know that home basic, premium and ultimate can definitely upgrade for free, wasn't sure of starter.

Thank you,
Ishan

I have a netbook from a fair bit ago, the HP Mini 210-1051VU and recently have been trying to get it Windows 10 ready. I've upgraded the ram to 2GB and plan to upgrade the hard drive to SSD and install a broadcom HD video decoder.

I wouldn’t recommend trying to get a ssd working on this machine as its just too old… stick with a basic sata drive and your system will be more stable.

I've been using the Windows 7 Starter edition it comes with until now and was wondering if I needed to purchase a Windows 10 license if I wanted to upgrade to it once it is released. I know that home basic, premium and ultimate can definitely upgrade for free, wasn't sure of starter.

Nobody knows yet and anyone telling you they do is miss-informed… Microsoft has only made very vague statements about licensing costs at this stage but the rumourr mill is full of “some-one said” this or that.

Alright I'll try the tech preview and wait out for further announcements about licensing. Thanks for your help.

Yes you can install Windows 10 on a netbook. I have only got netbooks which came with Windows 7 Starter. I upgraded some of them to Windows 7 Home Premium as I hated the restrictions of Starter. My 2 other netbooks have both Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 on them. The latest build of Windows 10 now enables Metro Apps to run on Netboks, at least they do on mine.

I head that Microsoft said they would upgrade everyone to Windows 10 for FREE. This even included those running bootleg copies. Then they backed down a little on the bootleg upgrade and said they would upgrade them to an "unregistered version" of Win 10. As far as the low power computers running Win 10, MS is going to have a version for the Raspberry Pi so I don't think it gets any lower power than that.

I head that Microsoft said they would upgrade everyone to Windows 10 for FREE. This even included those running bootleg copies. Then they backed down a little on the bootleg upgrade and said they would upgrade them to an "unregistered version" of Win 10. As far as the low power computers running Win 10, MS is going to have a version for the Raspberry Pi so I don't think it gets any lower power than that.
I read that as well. But I am not going to upgrade my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. I am sticking with Windows 7 and intent to carry on using it for as long as I can.

I was using Windows XP but I had to stop last year because support ended and I cannot get any more security updates for it. I do have Windows 8 on one of my netbooks but I don't use it very much. I prefer Windows 7 because it runs everything and is faster than Windows 8.

Windows 7 isn't faster at all. You need to stop posting your opinions as fact as well you're in error....

My Win XP nettop is still working fine so I see no reason to stop using it. When I come to the point it stops working I will probably switch over to Linux on it.

Back
Top Bottom