Windows 10 Windows 10 Preview to Windows 10 Stable

Hi

So far I feel that this is really a simpler OS to use.

It seems that everything is easy to get to, I like all the options you get with right click on the start button.
Saves a lot of fooling around getting to basic Windows functions like device Manger and the Command Prompt etc.

It retained the search anywhere feature, and a few things I did like about Windows 8 but all in all it's just a lot easier, at least if you are used to Widows 7.

I moved the feedback icon to the task bar and removed all the App Icons from the start menu and now it looks like Windows 7.

Mike

For me, the right click functions you mention, are already available in Windows 8.1?

Untitled.png

It is still early days, so I am sure a little more will be added on as time goes by. So far, I'm afraid, I have yet to find any differences in performance of any functions. With two identical computers alongside each other, one with 8.1, the other with Windows X.
Which items do you find are easier to get to? Or are you referring to the return of a text start menu?

Hi

I do prefer the text start menu, but I used Classic Shell in Windows 8, I'm not going to do that here.
The only thing I've added was Rocketdock which I've used for years on every OS.

As far as performance I'm running Windows 8 and 10 on the same computer, and while I'm finding Windows 10 quicker, I'm willing to acknowledge that Windows 10 is a fresh install that doesn't have all of the software installed in it that 8 has.

I certainly boots faster, only a few seconds as opposed to more then a minute and a half for Windows 8.

I do find it easier to find things then in 8, that is partly because I never used 8 with the Metro screen even when I beta tested it.

I installed Classic Shell so I never really got used to the normal 8 interface.

But I think that anyone moving to this from Windows 7 is going have a much easier time.

So far it's been glitch free for me, I have all my games up and running (everything from Tomb Raider Underworld and Skyrim to Age of Conan, Guild Wars 2, and The Secret World).

I even have the old classic Freecell and Chess programs from Windows 7 installed and running.

Most of my graphics, speech, and word processing software, is installed, along with all the regular stuff like Photoshop, CCleaner, Defraggler, Malwarebytes, Revo Uninstaller, my 3D graphics drivers, WinAmp, Fraps, Rocketdock, Chrome, Thunderbird etc.

Even Internet Explorer which didn't work on either of my Windows 8 computers works OK in Windows 10.

I've made a disk image of my Windows 10 partition, I still have some video editing software, and some other Adobe stuff that I can't install twice to do.

I'll wait until I'm sure it's going well, then I have to remove it from 8 so I can install it in 10.

Other then that I'm ready to use it as my only OS as long as I don't run in to problems, I'm not going to go back to 8.

Mike

I guess we are all having different experiences at the moment. I have my main test on a very standard i5 laptop. I have not encountered, so far, any "bugs". My feedback , a different matter, has been quite large, but these are concerned with suggestions - mostly ignored, I would imagine -lol.

My inquiries in this, or any other forum, are not intended as rudess, but merely to see a point of view, for possible feedback.
Working through your post, for example.
You find 10 quicker. Is this overall, or in any specific function? I have the two Oss (8.1 and 10) installed on two identical laptops, running side by side. My timing is not sophisticated and only done watching the clock ticking. Iimho, I have not been able to see any difference in speed that I could comment on. As for booting. This could well pivot on how you installed for your dual boot. If you installed Windows 10 after Windows 8.1, then, as has always been the case, the Os installed second, has precedents, and will boot straight through, plus whatever time you have selected for the boot procedure. For the first OS installed, however, after reaching the boot manager, the computer is rebooted into the OS, and that time, however prohibitive, is , or can be, quite a penalty. In my case, I find both Os's pretty well matched. Possibly Windows 10 is a little slower, but I have done very little customization on that.

" do find it easier to find things then in 8, that is partly because I never used 8 with the Metro screen even when I beta tested it."

Not sure how to tackle that. To me, disregarding the Metro screen for the moment, I cannot see any difference? Or perhaps you mean the , now, access to Metro functions?
I agree that it does seem to be compatible with most software. Obviously I am never able to cover that, but All the software, dating back to Windows 7, which I used, I am still able to use through Windows 8 and Windows 10.

My view may be different to yours. As it does appear to perform like Windows 8.1, it is a temptation to use it as a primary OS. However, I would advise strongly against that. MS are undoubtedly going to throw in quite a few updates, between now and the final release, which you may or may not find suitable.

FWIW. I have been prowling through the system folders, to justify a small suspicion in my own mind. With the vast number there, it would be a lifetime feat to look at them all, but, so far, covering about 40, I have found them all identical to Windows 8.1 (??) P.S. That is size only. of course.

But, having said all that BS. I am still supportive of the OS, and am hoping that, in its maturity, it will develop into something quite useful. Of course, bearing in mind the majority of user criticism only concerned the lack of a start menu, that majority has already been satisfied! Another was the interference of the Charms bar - that has also been dealt with

Last edited:
Hi

I'm finding that everything opens quicker then in Windows 8.
And as I said, while it's not a big deal since I don't boot that often it boots faster then any OS I've ever had.

I've started putting my fingers on the keys so when the password page comes up, I can type it as fast as possible, the second I get the code in the desktop appears. LOL

I don't quite understand how it can load in 10 to 15 seconds from when I select the OS but I suppose it's an improved fast boot application.

I believe that fast boot doesn't happen when you restart your computer so that would explain the difference in boot times.

As far as using it as my primary OS, I always have Windows 8 to fall back on, so if it goes sideways it's not a deal breaker.

That's why I haven't uninstalled things like Photoshop CS4, (I have an older version installed in 10) InDesign, Premiere and Illustrator from Windows 8, if I need to do real work, I can boot into 8 and have access to all my stuff.

I may try and install them in Windows 10 and see if Adobe blocks me but when I've tried in the past it always says I have to deactivate them if I want to install it again. Maybe if I called them and told them what I'm doing they would allow it, after all they want to know how the stuff is going to work in 10 too.

The rest of my software could care less how many times I install it.

I'm not doing the software installs on my C:\Windows 10 drive, I created a folder on my other hard drive called Windows 10 Program Files and everything that gives me an option gets installed there.

I guess the thing is that I was happy with Windows 7 and when Windows 8 came along I regretted getting Widows 8 on my new computer even though had I tested it too.

This is like going back to Windows 7 with the addition of the things that Windows 8 could do better.
It's what Windows 8 should have been.

As I said many times, who thought that Windows that doesn't have windows was a good idea?

One last comment, when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I had sound issues that I couldn't fix, I spent a whole day on it with no luck as did a lot of other people with Creative sound cards.

I finally had to use my system image to go back to 8.

I've had no sound problems with Windows 10, something I was really worrying about.
So, so far all is positive.

Mike

Last edited:
That is great, Mike. Not much around about speed comparison,yet, but you seem to have hit the magic button. Sporadic forum posts have, so far, come to the same conclusion as myself, n - no marked performance improvement.

One thing I have noticed. I dont know if it is MS intention to scrap it, or update it, but, whilst you can configure the notification tray in the Control Panel, at the moment there isn't one. Another one which will hopefull come inder scrutiny, is the Alt Tab combination. Alt Tab gives me a horrendous, almost unreadable display
MS have done a lot of work on drivers, but they still have to rely on info from the hardware manufacturers for reliable updates. I did not have any problems in this area, since Windows 7, but I still look forward to trouble free updating.

By the way, regarding my remark concerning the use of the OS as the primary. There is, already, another build about to be launched, Build 9855. I have no idea whether this will be sprung as an update, or is only within testing circles.

So far running it as a VM I will, also, say it is crazy fast, booting & otherwise. Myself, I will only run it as a VM until the GA.

As for Alt-Tab... I, really, find taking the cursor across the taskbar shows everything, allowing one to settle on a particular viewed selection, but, aside from that... the Task View button (on the Taskbar to the right of the Search icon, does the same thing very nicely :)

I think people are, really, going to like this one. I can use the start menu instead of the Desktop Toolbar. I never used the Start Screen & or its Tiles. I don't need Tiles taking up space w/ the start menu... just wish that portion could be 1-click removed, as a unit instead, of removing all the default Tiles, one by one. And if I use this start menu saves creating an Applications folder/window on the Taskbar. And, now, w/out Desktop Toolbar or an Applications folder, can access everything w/out leaving Desktop, w/out changing screens.... and that is good!

One thing I never liked was Store APPs opening Full Screen and having to do a bunch of stuff to have them share the Desktop. So, I am very happy about how they behave, now. Except, I would like to chose to make them go Full Screen after opening them as 'windows'. They, still, open Full Screen, 1st. But, sure nice to finally have more than 2 or 3 floating & sizable and very easy to maneuver & manipulate.

I'll pin things to the Taskbar thereby needing the start menu as little, as rarely as, prior to Windows 8.

I do reckon there will be a lot less whinging about this OS. And, bonus, the fact that One Platform aptly serves all different devices as each device was intended.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Hi Drew

Check out Rocketdock, I keep plugging it but it's the best start menu option that I've tried.
I've used it for years on many computers.

With Rocketdock all my commonly used software is 1 click away and it leaves my desktop nice and clean.

I put the things that I want to access when I'm in a program, and the desktop is covered on the task-bar.

This is especially helpful in Windows 10 because the Windows Key brings the task-bar to the front in full screen apps, and games.

If i'm playing The Elder Scrolls Online and I want to look something up online, I can just hit the Widows Key, click on Chrome and it opens in front of the game.

Same with Skype, if I want to call my buddy while I'm playing just Windows Key, Skype Button and I'm there.

http://rocketdock.com/DOWNLOAD

It works great in Windows 10.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom