Windows 7 Windows 10 to Windows 7 due to disk usage issue

ashfaq267

Hello Guys,
I am kinda new here. So ,sorry if this is not the right place to post this.
I use a Lenovo Y410P which came with windows 8 and I updated it to 10, when it came out.
After the update startup is really really slow (windows 8 was slow as well) and I see that the disk usage is 100% all the time. I tried everything on the internet I could to see if I can solve the 100% disk usage but in vain. I bought this laptop so I don't need to deal with the slower computer I had earlier.
So, now I was thinking maybe a downgrade to Win7 would help me on this case? Please let me know your opinion on this? If thats a good idea, can I just buy a Win7 from amazon and install it by myself or should I contact Lenovo for the downgrade?

Thanks in advance for the advices guys, looking forward to hearing from you.

Windows 10 actually runs better than 7, 8 and 8.1 in my opinion. Your high disk usage could be caused by many things. Here a few reasons.
  • Low end hardware
  • Small amount of physical memory (this will cause thrashing which means data is being swapped in/out of memory to disk because you don't have a lot of physical memory)
  • Windows updates
  • Malware
  • Dirty CPU vents, poor thermal paste seal (not necessarily going to cause high disk usage but will slow the computer down)
  • OS corruption
I would suggest backing up your data and do a clean install of Windows 10. This would help rule out many of the reasons I've listed.

• Backup your data to a usb drive
  • Download the media creation tool Windows 10
  • Boot to the USB and install
Also if you can post your computer make model or specs.

Windows 10 actually runs better than 7, 8 and 8.1 in my opinion. Your high disk usage could be caused by many things. Here a few reasons.
  • Low end hardware
  • Small amount of physical memory (this will cause thrashing which means data is being swapped in/out of memory to disk because you don't have a lot of physical memory)
  • Windows updates
  • Malware
  • Dirty CPU vents, poor thermal paste seal (not necessarily going to cause high disk usage but will slow the computer down)
  • OS corruption
I would suggest backing up your data and do a clean install of Windows 10. This would help rule out many of the reasons I've listed.

• Backup your data to a usb drive
  • Download the media creation tool
  • Boot to the USB and install
Also if you can post your computer make model or specs.

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.
Spec of my computer Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Laptop Computer 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD
I have scanned the computer with malware, adware software and nothing was found. I have bitdefender on laptop as well.
I will try doing a clean installation on Win10.
Thanks

If the install is corrupt you can attempt repair from an elevated command prompt
  • chkdsk /r /f press Y to run on next reboot
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Reboot to let the checkdisk complete.
  • Check the SFC log here for errors C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
  • Check the DISM logs C:\Windows\Logs\DISM

If the install is corrupt you can attempt repair from an elevated command prompt
  • chkdsk /r /f press Y to run on next reboot
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Reboot to let the checkdisk complete.
  • Check the SFC log here for errors C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
  • Check the DISM logs C:\Windows\Logs\DISM

Thanks, There were some errors. I am not sure if they are causing the disk 100% usage.

CBS
ERROR_REGISTRY_IO_FAILED]
Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory

Current tick count lower than last tick count. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]
2016-04-16 17:37:22, Warning CBS Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Warning CBS Current tick count lower than last tick count. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Warning CBS Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Info CSI 000000c6 Creating NT transaction (seq 38), objectname [6]"(null)"
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Info CSI 000000c7 Created NT transaction (seq 38) result 0x00000000, handle @0xb44
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Info CSI 000000c8@2016/4/16:21:37:23.351 Beginning NT transaction commit...
2016-04-16 17:37:23, Info CSI 000000c9@2016/4/16:21:37:23.598 CSI perf trace:

DISM

2016-04-16 17:53:30, Error DISM DISM.EXE: No providers were found that support the command(onlinecleanup-image).
DISM.EXE: Failed validating command line: DISM /Online Cleanup-Wim /RestoreHealth

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.
Spec of my computer Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Laptop Computer 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD
I have scanned the computer with malware, adware software and nothing was found. I have bitdefender on laptop as well.
I will try doing a clean installation on Win10.
Thanks
You have enough specs in my opinion you should try to throughly clean your pc and then go for windows 10. Hopefully you will enjoy this experience

Hi ashfaq267,
You have some good suggestions here. I'd just like to add that a Win7 DOWNGRADE on your Lenovo laptop may not be possible due to hardware incompatibilities at the Motherboard level. Your notion of calling Lenovo on that is right on the money. When you call their Support line they will ask for your laptop serial number, and run your config on their computer database. They can then tell you if that's possible, Yes or No. If No, you should consider the recommendation to upgrade to Win10 as recommended. It is more stable than 8x, but you may have some driver issues to work out as kemical pointed out, Lenovo is not currently supporting Win10 as their lack of posted Win10 drivers for your specific model tell you.

If the answer to the DOWNGRADE question is "YES", most likely Lenovo will charge you for Win7 factory media discs or usb stick as the downgrade is not included with your laptop purchase. Prices on this will vary from $29 to $99 in the U.S., possibly more overseas due to tariff and international shipping if it comes from China which is now where Lenovos are manufactured.

Windows OS downgrades to versions earlier than the one supplied on the computer are often frowned on by Techs, as they can cause their own litany of problems, even if the factory claims that downgrade is supported on your Model. Of course, this is your call here. Thing you have to think about is cost.:cash: A Windows reset to factory version (Win8) is free, either with factory discs that came with the laptop in the box, or Recovery Discs made by you by Lenovo Media Recovery tool or similar, or the built-in factory Recovery Partition stored on the laptop's hard drive. This tool is pretty much on all modern laptops; Win7 and later across all major brands (with a very few exceptions). The Win10 upgrade is free to use now until > July 29th 2016, after which you will have to pay $119 for Win10 Home, or if you upgraded to Win10 Pro which will cost you $199. Almost certainly, the Win7 DOWNGRADE will cost you money for media if purchased direct from Lenovo support, again $29-$99. The downgrade is going to be good for only 4 years; Microsoft is planning end of life for all Win7 products in 2020. Win8, about 2024 gives you 8 years; and Win10 is 2025-2026 say 9-10 years. If you wish to maximize the life of your Windows investment, the Win8 is probably the cheapest-at free-and the Win10 is close to a decade, but is the most expensive option. I am choosing to upgrade all my Win10 machines > July 29th and I now have 5 of them; 1 is a legit Win7-Win10, so I'm looking at purchasing a 5-user multi-PC pack license. If you have only the 1 machine, I suggest you weigh these options.

In my experience, after about 6 months to 1 year, after a rollout of a new Windows version, it makes sense to go to the newest version if possible to maximize your performance and productivity of your computer hardware.

Let us know how it turns out for you.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :usa:

Back